Indonesia, Lombok - Sun, Sand and Sea

In-between my planned trips to the Maldives in August 2014 and Japan in October 2014, I decided to take a short trip to some place nearby; preferably within a 3-hour flight time radius from my native Singapore.

As part of its 25th anniversary celebrations, Silkair was offering 50% discounts on award redemption tickets to some selected regional destinations and I jumped on the opportunity to redeem my return air tickets to Lombok using my Krisflyer Miles (Silkair is wholly owned by Singapore Airlines and thus I could use my Krisflyer Miles to redeem award tickets on Silkair flights). Each return ticket only required 7,500 Krisflyer Miles to redeem after the 50% discount. Of course, I still had to pay the usual taxes and surcharges in cash. :-)

My flight onboard Silkair MI128 from Singapore's Changi International Airport (IATA: SIN, ICAO: WSSS) to the new airport near the city of Praya; the Bandar Udara Internasional Lombok (IATA: LOP, ICAO: WADL) took about 2 hour 35 minutes. The cabin crew on the flight were awesome and worked tirelessly to ensure that all passengers had an enjoyable flight.

Officially, Lombok is part of the Indonesian province of West Nusa Tenggara. Geographically, Lombok is part of the chain of islands known as the Lesser Sunda Islands. Bali is located to the west of Lombok; both islands being separated by the Lombok Strait. To the east of Lombok is the Alas Strait and the island of Sumbawa.

As the Silkair Airbus A320 neared Praya, I could clearly see the hulking mass of the mountains through the windows of the plane. To enjoy the views, take the seats on the right of the plane when flying from Singapore to Lombok and the seats on the left of the plane on the return flight back to Singapore. :-)

View from the left window of the plane on Row 26 on the flight from Lombok to Singapore; this picture was taken using my iPhone 5S (which was of course switched to the airplane mode!)

My flight landed at about 6.30pm local time and the sun had already started to set. The easiest way, but not the most economical, is to take a taxi from the airport to town. During my 4-day stay in Lombok, I had booked my accommodation for 3-nights at the Sheraton in Senggigi and the taxi journey from the airport to Senggigi took around 70 minutes with the metered fare coming up to around IDR176,000 (about USD$14.50, SGD$18.50 based on the prevailing exchange rates during my visit in September 2014). I gave the driver IDR200,000 as he was a really friendly guy who provided me with tips on where to eat and shop. Tips are not necessary but I decided to tip him anyway because he was nice to me. :-) In addition, I also arranged with him to pick me up at the hotel on the day of my departure because the metered fare to the airport is definitely cheaper than the hotel transport!

The taxi journey from the airport to the hotel was quite entertaining and educational as my very friendly taxi driver explained the local customs and culture to me. He also pointed out the sights to me along the way and as I mentioned earlier, shared tips on the cool places to eat and shop. However, as it was already nightfall, I couldn't really see as much as I hoped I could. 

One thing I noted as the taxi made its way through the streets of Lombok was the way the locals drive or ride. More often than not, the lanes for opposing traffics weren't clearly demarcated and frequently, I could see vehicles cutting into the lanes for the opposing traffic! This is definitely not a place where I would enjoy driving!

Soon, we reached our hotel. Check-in was a breeze and the Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort (its official full name here in Lombok) was a nice and cozy hotel albeit a little bit old. That didn't matter to me because of more importance to me was the good service, friendly staff and 24-hour gym! Yes, it has a 24-hour gym!

Because I arrived in Lombok late in the evening on the first day of my trip and had to leave for the airport early in the morning of my departure date, I had only 2 full days to spend here. Thus, I decided to just enjoy the nice beach at Senggigi and the surrounding areas of the hotel instead of venturing further afield such as taking boat trips to the 3 Gilis (a.k.a. Gili Islands; Gili Air, Gili Meno and Gili Trawangan). I made mental notes to visit these islands on my next trip to Lombok. (The 3 Gilis are clearly visible from the air on the flight from Lombok to Singapore. Look out for them if you are seated next to the window)

The stretch of beach just in front of and adjacent to the Sheraton Senggigi is nice but the waves are a bit rough and there are not much coral or sea life to be seen even at low tide. Those who like beach combing can walk southwards along the beach until you reach a bay.There, at low tides, I encountered sea creatures such as juvenile Mantis Shrimps and Octopuses.

Sunset at the beach in front of the Sheraton can be spectacular, depending on the weather of course. I snapped these 2 photos of the sunset on 21 September at this stretch of beach. Time was between 6.30pm to 6.45pm.

Sunset as seen at Senggigi Beach, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Sunset, this photo was taken about 200 meters southwards from the location where the first sunset picture was taken, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

During my brief stay at Senggigi, I had my meals at the numerous locally-run cafes along the road just next to the Sheraton Senggigi (walk southwards along the road and you will encounter many of these cafes). The Yessy Cafe is one of my favorites and I especially love the spicy sambal balachan (shrimp-based chili paste). The Tahu Goreng (deep friend beancurd) and Nasi Goreng Istimewa (Special Fried Rice) are awesome. Walk further down the road and you will see the Orchid Spa where Foot Reflexology can be enjoyed at very reasonably priced rates. Just before the Orchid Spa is another small cafe, Warung Botol. I really enjoyed the Soto Ayam (Chicken Noodle Soup) and Lombok Coffee here. The food here are delicious and the prices reasonable. I highly recommend visitors to give this cafe a try. You may like the food and coffee as much as I do.

Nasi Goreng Istimewa (Special Fried Rice) at the Yessy Cafe, Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia (2014, picture taken with iPhone 5S)

Soto Ayam, at the Yessy Cafe, Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia (2014, picture taken with iPhone 5S)

Grilled Seafood Set at the Yessy Cafe, Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia (2014, picture taken with iPhone 5S)

Grilled Mahi-mahi (Dorado) with rice at the Blue Lotus Cafe, Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia (2014, picture taken with iPhone 5S)

Steamed fish with ginger and lime with rice at the Blue Lotus Cafe, Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia (2014, picture taken with iPhone 5S)

The Warung Botol Cafe, Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia (2014, picture taken with iPhone 5S)

Used bottles used as Lamps, The Warung Botol Cafe, Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia (2014, picture taken with iPhone 5S)

The Warung Botol Cafe, Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia (2014, picture taken with iPhone 5S)

The Orchid Spa, Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia (2014, picture taken with iPhone 5S)

Local branded instant noodles at a convenience store, Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia (2014, picture taken with iPhone 5S)

Food aside, I spend a fair amount of time exploring the beach at Senggigi and here are some photos taken with my Canon EOS70D.

The Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

The beautiful and awesome beachside bar at the Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

During my stay, I had a very relaxing and enjoyable swim at this beautiful pool, Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Tropical flowers in Lombok , Indonesia(2014)

Tropical flowers in Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

I find Lombok similar to Bali in some ways, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Close-up photo of a Hibiscus, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Stone sculpture in the gardens of the Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Stone sculpture in the gardens of the Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Stone sculpture in the gardens of the Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Stone sculpture in the gardens of the Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Figurine at the Poolside Bar of the Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

The Poolside Bar, Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Game of chess? This chess set is seated on a low hanging branch of a small tree in the garden of the Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort , Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

This photo of a juvenile Water Monitor Lizard (Varanus salvator bivittatus) was taken with my Canon IXUS-110 Compact Camera, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Local boats at the Senggigi Beach, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Senggigi Beach in the evening just before sunset, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Local kid swimming in the waters in front of Senggigi Beach, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Local kids enjoying the evening at Senggigi Beach, Lombok, Indonesia (2014)

Overall, I really enjoyed my short stay in Lombok and I will definitely visit this beautiful island again. The locals whom I met during my trip were all friendly and cheerful and I really enjoyed talking and sharing travel tales with them over a cup of Lombok Coffee. This was an awesome trip!

Comments

  1. Welcome to Cocoon Reserve, an eco-conscious bamboo resort nestled amidst the landscapes of Kuta, Lombok.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg