Australia, Sydney - Sydney Aquarium, it's a Sea Life!

Note from the Author: I wrote this short article in August 1999 when I last visited Sydney. That the aquarium is still around in 2014 speaks volumes about the popularity of this attraction. Reading this article again after so many years reminded me that I should start considering Australia as one of my travel destinations for 2015. After all, Australia is fairly near to Singapore geographically and Sydney (SYD) is just a mere 7.5-hour flight from Singapore (SIN). - Timothy, Oct 2014

I like wildlife, flora and fauna included. Therefore, in planning what to do and see prior to my trip to Sydney, I had earmarked the Australian Natural History Museum and the Sydney Aquarium as must-visits.

Before my visit to the Sydney Aquarium, the only other large aquariums featuring marine life that I had been to were at home in Singapore. The former Van Kleef Aquarium near Fort Canning in Singapore is no longer there. The Underwater World in Sentosa Island was and still is a personal favorite. Comparing all three, the former Van Kleef Aquarium paled in comparison to the Sydney Aquarium although the Sentosa Underwater World comes close.

Located near the famous Sydney Opera House at  Darling Harbour, the Sydney Aquarium should feature on the itinerary for those who are visiting this southern Australian city. I considered the entrance fee to be very reasonable. But because I was visiting in the late afternoon, some of the exhibits were already closed. So, I do not get to see any marine mammals. For those who want to see more, visit in the morning

As an avid recreational angler, I had a field day trying to identify most of the marine fishes housed here. The two large walk-through aquariums were the highlights of the visit (there is a similar tank at the Sentosa Underwater World). These large tanks provide panaromic sights of the large number of fishes on display. For people like me who don't or can't dive, this is as close as you can get to encountering marine life, up close and personal.

A Silver Pompano (Trachinotus blochii) at the Sydney Aquarium, Australia (1999)

The sights of large Groupers anchoring themselves lazily at the bottom of the tanks were amazing. Above me, sharks swam by gracefully. Large pelagic species such as Trevallies and Snappers are represented in abundant numbers.

A Shark in one of the walk-in aquariums as seen through the lens of my camera, Sydney, Australia (1999)

Besides the walk-through aquariums, the other exhibits are no less awe-inspiring. But I managed to spend only about 2 hours here before I had to leave. I like this place so much that I wouldn't mind a second visit the next time I am in Sydney.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg