UK, England, London - Natural History Museum

London's Natural History Museum houses a vast collection of exhibits spanning different segments of natural history.

Whenever I visit London, and when time and schedule permits, I would usually spend a whole day at this museum. There are so much to see, so much to learn and so much to discover. I especially like the exhibits from the segments on Palaeontology and Zoology. 

I will be following up with separate blog posts on the segments on Palaeontology, Zoology, and Mineralogy soon, complete with photos of some of the exhibits from these segments. But until I can find the time to pen those posts, I am sharing a few photos of the exhibits from the Palaeontology and Zoology segments of the museum. These photos were taken during my visit in September 2011.

Author's Note: My most recent visit to the Natural History Museum was on 26 May 2017.

A re-created exhibit depicting what a dinosaur nest would possibly look like. Natural History Museum, London, UK (2011) 

A fossil of a prehistoric mammal (the species of which I cannot remember but it does look like a prehistoric relative of the modern day rhinoceros to me). Natural History Museum, London, UK (2011)
Author's Note: In my return visit to the Natural History Museum in May 2017, I could not find this fossil on display. There was a renovation of the museum going on and I was not sure if this item had been moved to be displayed in the renovated hall. Or it could be that I totally missed this display.

I initially thought this was the fossil remains of a Sabre Tooth Cat. But upon more research, I realised it was not be a Sabre Tooth Cat after all. This was the fossil of a Deinotherium displayed at it actual height of 3 metres (Deinotherium giganteum), Natural History Museum, London, UK (2011)
Author's Note: In my return visit to the Natural History Museum in May 2017, I managed to find out that this skull belonged to a Deinotherium. This display is a cranium with a cast of the mandible.

Woolly Mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius) fossil, Natural History Museum, London, UK (2011)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg