Travel Bits: February 2016

Chinese New Year is usually the time when I embark on a road trip to neighbouring Malaysia; especially to the city of Ipoh in Perak State. This is where I took a break from my hectic and punishing work schedule. During my usual 4 or 5 days stay, I will spend time reading books, writing articles, going around time to enjoy the rustic charms of Ipoh and its surrounding areas and also catching up with relatives and friends.

This year, the first and second days of the Chinese New Year were on 8 and 9 February which are a Monday and Tuesday respectively. Adding the weekends prior, and we have a 4-day period where we could travel without needing to apply for vacation leave from our work. To make full use of this long holiday weekend, I drove north to Ipoh on 7 February.

A row of old shophouses in the Old Town area that have been repainted in a colourful blend of rainbow hues, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia (2016)

During this road trip, I stuck to my usual habit of stopping by Ayer Keroh, just after the Malacca exit of the North-South Highway and before the Kuala Lumpur exit. Here at the rest stop of Ayer Keroh is where my favourite food stall is. I especially enjoyed the Nasi Lemak dishes (translated loosely as fragrant rice in the English language). This is a local Malay dish of rice cooked with coconut milk and served with sambal (pounded and blended chilli paste), ikan bills (anchovies) and/or beef or mutton rendang (beef and mutton cooked in a rich blend of local herbs and spices). The rich flavour of this dish served at this stall is awesome and unlike any other Nasi Lemak sold in other parts of Malaysia and Singapore!

Nasi Lemak served with Beef Rendang, Ayer Keroh, Malacca, Malaysia (2016)

Nasi Lemak served with Ikan Bilis (anchovies),  Ayer Keroh, Malacca, Malaysia (2016)

Mee soto is a popular local dish of noodles usually served with chicken, Ayer Keroh, Malacca, Malaysia (2016)

In Ipoh, I did my usual cafe hopping and also walked around the Old Town area looking for interesting photo subjects.

Ice cream, strawberry and moist chocolate cake, Ipoh , Perak, Malaysia (2016)

I must always have that cuppa and this is one of the many cups of latte that satisfy my caffeine cravings, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia (2016)

For non-caffeine drinkers, the cafes in Ipoh served up a large variety of blended fruit-based beverages  such as this glass of flavourful and extremely refreshing lychee drink, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia (2016)

Semi-cooked eggs served on toast, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia (2016)

This year, I finally visited the famed and mythical Kellie's Castle that I have heard so much about but had never previously visited during my many trips to Perak. I also managed to squeeze in a return visit to the forested areas of Kampung Ulu Chepor (near Chemor) where I had a good dip in the icy cold waters of the forest streams! No skinny dipping is allowed because there are local villages in the area and we must always respect the religion and culture of the locals anywhere in the world. A planned visit to the caves of Gua Temburung had to be called off because the area is under routine maintenance. and will only be opened to the general public after March 2016. We found out about this only after arriving at the area. Well, the caves will be on my itinerary for next year's trip.

Kellie's Castle, Batu Gajah, Perak, Malaysia (2016)

This year's Ipoh trip for me turned out to be much more interesting than usual. More importantly, the trip retained its purpose to provide me with a good break from the relative madness of the rat race in Singapore. :-)

Chendol, a local dish made of beans, corns, many types of sweet condiments such as syrups and condensed milk and served in blended/crushed ice, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia (2016)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg