China, Shanghai - Sight, Smell and Taste

Shanghai cuisine although originating locally, do have influences from its neighbour provinces. Traditionally, Shanghai dishes are marked by the emphasis on sight, smell and taste. Thus, it is not surprising that most Shanghai dishes are served heavily seasoned. In particular, the use of chinese wine in the cooking is fairly common.

The elaborate table layout at a restaurant in a Shopping Mall near The Bund where I had my meal, Shanghai, China (2015)

During my brief visit to Shanghai in July 2015 as part of a working trip, I had the chance to try Shanghainese food in Shanghai itself! I thus tried to made full use of my 2-day stay in this famous Chinese city to try as much of the local cuisine as I could. The result was satisfying. The heavily seasoned and tasty dishes find total agreement with my taste buds.

Here are some of the dishes that I had the chance to try during my stay in Shanghai.

Due to personal preferences, I do not eat pork. But I find the presentation of this dish of pork highly interesting and eye-catching, Shanghai, China (2015)

Jellyfish, Shanghai, China (2015)

Diced chicken and tofu, Shanghai, China (2015)

Crab dish, note the generous use of chilli in this spicy dish, Shanghai, China (2015)

A dish of eel prepared in a traditional claypot, the generous addition of chilli adds a spicy punch to this dish, Shanghai, China (2015)

Skewered prawns, Shanghai, China (2015)

Lamb ribs with generous seasonings of local spices and herbs, Shanghai, China (2015)

Bean curd cooked spicy style, Shanghai, China (2015)

A dish of fish and chilli, Shanghai, China (2015)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg