Travel Bits: September 2016

Pros and cons of group and solo trips.......

I don't usually travel with friends not because I am an introvert But I personally prefer a more easy going style of travel where visiting each and every tourist attraction is not a must-do item for every location or city I travel to. I also enjoy a more laid back attitude when it comes to travelling where I take my time to enjoy the place, the culture and the locals instead of basing my daily plans on lists compiled from travel guides and magazines. Traveling with friends or in a group require that we put aside these personal preferences and go with the majority decision where itineraries are concern. 

The Author, Timothy on a solo hike in the mountains, Takayama, Gifu Prefecture, Japan (2014)

However, I do travel with friends whenever the opportunity present itself. And I do enjoy these trips. In short, traveling solo or with friends both have their pros and cons. And for certain trips, traveling with friends or in a group is a must for me. These include long trekking trips of 3 days or more, fishing trips which include overnight stays on boats out in the sea, trips involving extended cross-country driving and climbing trips to conquer mountain peaks. Traveling with others on such trips foster bonding and strengthen friendships. Companionships and the encouragement which come with such company are important ingredients which allowed me to muster that last ounce of energy to conquer that mountain peak or complete that arduous trek.

Timothy (not in the photo because I was the photographer) engaging in a game of sports fishing with friends, Mahé, Seychelles (2000)

Timothy (second from left) exploring a sand bank with 3 other friends, Maldives (2014)

The long and short of it is that like all things in life, traveling is best enjoyed when we have a mixed of everything. Travel alone when you want to and travel with friends or in a group where you feel like it. We can be a little of everything. Life is tough. Let's soften it a bit with a more carefree attitude. Travel, enjoy, be free and be richer for the experience!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg