Thailand, Bangkok - One Day in Town

Bangkok is the capital city of Thailand. It is also the most populous city in the country with a population of over 8 million people. And that is not including people who lives within the Bangkok Metropolitan Region. 

And so, if you have just 1 day to spend in this bustling and vibrant city, how do you spend your time here within that 24 hours?

Silom Complex, , Si Lom, Bang Rak District, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

I recently spent a day in Bangkok as part of a business trip. Not one who really enjoys jostling with crowds and yet not a hermit as well, I tried to strike a balance between the crowds and nature. Here's how I spent my one day in Bangkok.

10.00 am - 12.00 pm

Woke up relatively late at 9.00 am as I do not have to attend any meetings. After a couple of minutes lazing in the hotel room, a quick shower followed and I was soon out on the streets. Took the BTS Skytrain to the Ma Boon Khrong Center. This popular tourist haunt in Bangkok is also regularly referred to just by its acronym, MBK. It is located just next to the BTS National Stadium Station (Dark Green Line) and is also within walking distance of the BTS Siam Station.

Had my brunch at one of the many eateries located within the MBK Shopping Mall. I then spent time shopping amongst the many shops within the mall. There are more than 2000 shops located within MBK spread over 8 floors, including a Tokyu Department Store which occupies floor space in 4 floors within the center. It was a good way to digest my hearty brunch of Tom Yum Soup with Fish and Noodles.

Tom Yum Soup with Fish and Noodles, MBK Center, Pathum Wan District, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

12.00 pm - 1.00 pm

Had a coffee break to rest my tired legs after all that walking and shopping in MBK. I took a stroll from MBK to the nearby Siem Center, another shopping mall but a more upscaled one compared to MBK.

Here, I had my favourite latte at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaves outlet. In-between my latte, I spent some time on my mobile phone replying to emails from my customers. Technology ensured that we are all never really away from our work. I also took time out to read some news on the internet. There is always a need to keep track of the happenings around the world.

1.00 pm to 3.00 pm

I decided to take a break from the malls and their crowds and be close to nature and headed for Lumpini Park (also spelled as Lumphini Park). It is located just next to the Silom MRT Station (Blue Line). The park is also within walking distance of the BTS Sala Daeng Station (Dark Green Line).

Lumpini Park is a public park in Bangkok. There is a man-made lake within the nearly 58 hectares area of this park. Here, visitors can rent paddle boats to enjoy a leisurely self-paddled cruise around the lake. Also located within the park is a Elder Citizen's Club for seniors to interact, relax, and exercise. There is also an open air gym in the park where almost all the guys trained topless, including some serious bodybuilders.

Visitors should note that smoking is not allowed anywhere within the park area. 

Lumpini Park, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

Open air gym, Lumpini Park, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

I spent a good couple of hours here walking around the park, bird watching, feeding the fishes in the lake and pigeons of the park and just simply enjoying the greenery. 

Man-made Lake, Lumpini Park, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

Pigeons, Lumpini Park, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

Residents of the park, Lumpini Park, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

Vendors located just at the entrance of the park near to the Silom MRT Station paddled bread crumbs and fish food to visitors. Each packet of these items cost 20 Thai Baht (about SGD$0.80 and USD$0.56 at the prevailing exchange rates during my Bangkok Trip in January 2017).

3.00 pm to 5.00 pm

After spending time with nature, I next headed for the less touristy shopping malls located around the neighbourhood of the Thailand Cultural Center MRT Station. There is a Big C Supermarket in the area as well as many other shops located within the malls here. A large open space where rows of street vendors used to sell locally produced items as well as hawker food was no longer there. In its place, some construction projects were ongoing. Thus, I missed out on the main purpose of my visit to the area. But I still managed to find many other interesting shops within the malls including one which retail high quality plane models; one of those stuff which I collect. ;-)

5.00 pm to 6.00 pm

Walking along the same side of the road where Big C is located and away from the entrance/exit to the Thailand Cultural Center MRT Station, I found a large local eatery (about 5 minutes walk from the MRT Station). I ordered my favourite food here and ate to my heart's content. It was an extremely lovely and delicious dinner! Because this is not a tourist haunt and it is frequented by locals, the price is extremely reasonable and affordable.

I would recommend to anyone visiting the area to try out this eatery. I don't know its name because the writings are in the Thai Language but I can provide directions to lead you to the eatery. :-) And yes, they do have menus in English! Send me a message if you need directions to locate this eatery.

Cockles for dinner, Huai Khwang District, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

Deep-fried Snakehead Fish lavishly garnished with local condiments, herbs and sauces, Huai Khwang District, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

Closeup photo of my Snakehead Fish dish, Huai Khwang District, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

Some greens to go with the seafood dishes, Huai Khwang District, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

6.00 pm to 9.00 pm

I next headed for the Silom area by taking the MRT from the Thailand Cultural Center Station to Silom Station.

At Silom, I went a for a quick haircut which cost 120 Baht. This was followed by more shopping and a coffee break at a cafe.

A chicken-themed doughnut for supper, Silom Center, Si Lom, Bang Rak District, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

Caramel latte is one of my favourite hot beverage, Silom Center, Si Lom, Bang Rak District, Bangkok, Thailand (2017)

9.00 pm to 10.00 pm

At 9.00 pm, the night is definitely still young in Bangkok. But as I was really tired out from the past 2 weeks of travels and work, I decided to call it an early night and headed back to my hotel. Those keen on nightlife will find no lack of opportunities to be entertained within the Silom area. But that's not for me, at least not during this trip. I was headed back to the hotel for some much needed rest and sleep.

And that was how I spent a day in Bangkok!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg