Travel Bits: August 2017

Travelling to a new city for the first time...

This coming Thursday, I will be travelling to Laos for the first time. The purpose of the trip is for a short vacation to Luang Prabang in northern Laos and to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Town of Luang Prabang.

Being a first time visitor to Laos and Luang Prabang, I did some research on the internet and in the libraries to find out more about the cultural and religious norms of the city. I usually try my best to conform to and more importantly, to respect the local culture and religion of the cities I am visiting. Besides the more practical aspect of not getting into trouble with the local authorities, the main intention is to show respect to the local people, culture and religions. This is because I am a foreigner and guest after all and it will be rude to behave in manners that may offend the locals as well as their cultural or religious beliefs.

The areas where I show respect and conform to the local cultures and religious beliefs include the following:

Dressing - It is important to dress appropriately in order not to unintentionally offend. When not sure of the the local cultures with regards to dressings, going conservative will never be wrong. Always bring along a set of pants or at least a knee-length pair of Bermudas or Shorts. If my travel plans include visits to places of worships, I will also bring along a shirt. In some countries, I may even "upgrade" the shirt to a long sleeve version. For the guys, going around town topless is usually not advisable unless the local cultures permit it or if one is hiking or trekking in places where human contacts are going to be minimal. 

Food - Because of local religious beliefs, certain food items may not be appropriate. Thus, I always ensure that I do not bring along certain food items with me to places where such food are not consumed locally. In any case, there is seldom any need to bring food with me when I travel. After all, I am visiting new places to experience the local cultures and this experience is best enjoyed when I get to sample and taste the local food and cuisine.

Photography - Some locals may not like the idea of being photographed due to either cultural or other beliefs. When not sure, I always politely request for permission before I take any photographs of the people or places. And if I was too shy to ask for permission, I usually took the most appropriate action by not taking that photograph.

Touching - Always try not to touch things physically. This rule also applies to food items at local markets. Remember to first get permission from the shopkeeper before touching any items. 

Expressions - When in doubt, do not use any swear words especially when these may be audible to the locals. I generally do not swear whether in jest or in frustrations. In addition, when faced with a bad situation, always avoid getting carried away by emotions. Getting angry never solves any problems but will usually worsen the situations. Stay calm at all times and handle all situations pragmatically and in a calm and measured manner. 

The basic etiquettes above have served me well in my travels all over the world. And I have always enjoyed my travels by showing respect to the locals and their cultures and beliefs.

The author at a beach somewhere along Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia (2016)

Inside the Gua Tempurung Cave, Gopeng, Perak, Malaysia (2016)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg