Japan, Izu Peninsula - Day Market

Mingling with the crowds at local markets is one of the best way to immerse ourselves in the local culture and lifestyle of any city we travelled to.

While on a driving tour of the Izu Peninsula of Shizuoka Prefecture in spring of 2017, I chanced upon a local day market near the town of Ito. Because it was still relatively early in the day, some of the stalls were still being setup while others were already opened for business. 

3-D artwork, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

A stall selling hand-made products at the local day market, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

The stalls that were already opened, collectively put forth a very interesting mixed of items for sale. This ranged from cheery blossom (sakura) tree saplings/cuttings to small porcelain chopsticks holders and even Godzilla and Ultraman toys.

Sakura sapling/cutting for sale at the day market, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Porcelain chopsticks holders, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Hand-made porcelain utenils, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Hand-made pottery, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

More hand-made porcelain products, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Godzilla and Ultraman-themed toys, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Interestingly-shaped pots and kettles, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

A shoe stall at the day market, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Also available were several food stalls hawking foodstuffs such as chocolate-coated bananas and fried chicken to freshly grilled oysters.

Despite this being a relatively small day market, I enjoyed the experience of browsing through the available stalls, clinched several purchases including a retro Godzilla action figure. I also had grilled oysters for snacks and tried a chocolate-coated banana. Both were delicious.

The interactions I had with the locals at the market were the highlight of my visit. We travel to learn and to experience, the destination is but a location.

As I was enjoying myself at the market, time passed quickly and before I realised it, I had spent a good hour just walking around the many stalls. What was supposed to be a 15-minute stop, as I had earlier promised my travel partners, turned into something a lot longer.

Food stall at the day market, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Food stall at the day market, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Chocolate-coated bananas, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Grilled fresh oysters, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Thus, I had to be on my way again as my travel partners were really getting a bit impatient while waiting for me in the shared car. This was communicated to me via the constant buzzing of incoming messages to my mobile phone.

Our next destination was a huge park at the foot of Mount Omuro (a.k.a. Omuroyama). That will be a story to be shared in another upcoming blog post. :-)

Part of the setup of the day market, Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan (2017)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg