Travel Bits: April 2018

One Trip, Multiple Destinations.......

Those who know me know that I usually do not packed too many destinations into a single trip whenever I travel. I typically planned my itineraries such that I do not travel to more than 2 cities within a single trip. Usually, my trips were planned around a single city.

This is because I definitely prefer to have sufficient time to explore the destination, to sit and people-watch, enjoy a cuppa at local cafe, to visit the local markets and eateries and to observe how the locals live, rest and play.

The serene and tranquil neighbourhoods of Omihachiman with its traditional houses dating back to the Edo Period of Japan's history was an amazing personal discovery when I was in Shiga, Omihachiman, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

However, in my most recent trip to Japan in early April, I did what previously to me was the unthinkable. I actually broke all my personal rules and traveled to multiple destinations within the 12 days of the trip. I flew into Osaka, explored the city as any first-time visitor to the city would, and then traveled to the nearby cities of Nara, Himeji, Kobe, Takashima, Moriyama, Omihachiman and Kyoto before taking the Shinkansen (a.k.a. High Speed Rail) to Tokyo. 

The trip itself was an eye opener for me because with the exception of Tokyo, I had never before visited all the cities I went to despite my numerous trips to Japan previously. In Nara and Himeji, I visited the famous UNESCO World Heritage Sites in both cities. In Osaka, I went to most of the key tourist landmarks that I often read about in travel books and I got to dine on the famous Kobe Beef in Kobe itself. The highlights of the trip was in Shiga Prefecture where I visited Takashima, Moriyama and Omihachiman and circled almost two-third of Lake Biwa. In Takashima, I hiked for close to 17km in a single day while in Moriyama, I enjoyed repeated visits to a public onsen and also visited local temples and shrines at my own pace. My visit to Omihachiman is a travel adventure in itself. Also in Shiga, I discovered the existence of and dined on Omi Beef and found out that it taste just as good as Kobe Beef, if not better!

The beautiful streets of Nara makes this city a must-visit destination, Nara, Nara Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Himeji Castle is both a National Treasure of Japan and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Himeji, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan (2018) 

The Kobe Port Tower and Kobe Maritime Museum light up at night, Kobe, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Local eatery, Tennoji, Osaka Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Sakura trees lined the shores of Lake Biwa in spring, Takashima, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

I also visited Hakone for the first time and went up as high as the 5th Station of the world famous Mount Fuji, enjoyed a short cruise on Lake Aichi as well as took a ropeway cable car up Mount Komagatake to visit the Hakone Shrine Mototsumiya.

What I learned from my multiple cities and destinations itinerary in this trip was that with proper planning and by following a well laid out public transportation route, it is possible to visit more than one destination in a single trip and still get to enjoy all the travel activities that I like such as exploring each destination on foot, enjoying my coffee, finding time to sit and people-watch, visiting local markets and eateries and having time to observe how the locals live, rest and play. That this trip was based on using the highly efficient public rail system in Japan made it even more remarkable. 

Based on my experience with this amazing trip which I rated to be one of the best that I had ever taken, I am already looking forward to travelling in a similar way in my upcoming trip to Western Australia in June.

Myself greeting Lake Biwa a very good morning on 10 April 2018, Takashima, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Under a full bloomed Sakura Tree on the shore of Lake Biwa, Takashima, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg