Travel Bits: December 2018

2018 Travel Review.......

In 2018, I did not travel as much as I wanted due to work commitments. Compared to the preceding year of 2017, I traveled a lot less. Nevertheless, I still managed to clock some amazing personal trips and got to visit many places for the first time. These included the cities of Moriyama, Omnihachiman and Takashima in Japan's Shiga Prefecture and also Perth and its surrounding areas in Western Australia. I also got to visit Indonesia's beautiful island of Bali for the first time in 2 years as well as my favourite and usual destination cities of Hong Kong and Taipei. And all these trips within a year in which I was supposedly "grounded" in my home city because of work! 

Fireworks over the harbour to celebrate Western Australia Day on the night of 3 June 2018, Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia (2018)




My travel in Shiga in April 2018 was amongst one of the best trips I had ever taken. The itinerary was intentionally planned to include "gaps" so that I could enjoy the trip as it progressed. The visit to Omnihachiman was thus unplanned but one which I personally rated as one of the most beautiful places I had ever visited. The Edo-period styled buildings that had stood for hundreds of years and which remained today in near-pristine conditions as well as the age-old Himure Hachimangu Shrine are notable must-see sights in this old city.

I got to enjoy staying for 2 nights on the shores of Lake Biwa whilst in Takashima, the largest in-land freshwater lake in the whole of Japan. I also had the good fortune to experience walking under a canopy of sakura trees in full bloom, almost several kilometres of it. Enjoying traditional Japanese cakes and green tea with views overlooking the beautiful countryside was a joyous experience.

In Moriyama and Otsu, I enjoyed walks around the areas, dined on delicious Japanese cuisine and tasted Omi beef for the first time. Considered one of the best 3 beefs in Japan, Omi beef originates from Shiga Prefecture.

Omnihachiman canal, Omnihachiman, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Traditional Japanese dessert, Omnihachiman, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

My next big adventure of the year was in Western Australia where I visited for the first time. Perth, Fremantle, Joondalup and New Norcia were all magical when I visited! Each place was unique in its own way. Food was amazing everywhere I went.

This was also the first trip which I self-drove in its entirety. Because of the mobility accorded by my rented vehicle, I got to visit beautiful Cottesloe Beach, the amazing Sorrento Quay Boardwalk  and its surroundings, the King's Park and Botanical Garden in Perth itself as well as the Swan Valley area. There were also the repeated short trips to Guildford which is just a short drive from Perth's city centre.

View of Perth City Centre from the King's Park and Botanical Garden, Perth, Western Australia, Australia (2018)

The famous Fremantle Market, Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia (2018)

A trip to Bali meant I got to enjoy my annual beach vacation while Hong Kong as usual wow me with its fantastic local food. In Taipei, I visited the Beitou Hot Spring Town for the first time and it was a visit that I truly enjoyed, especially the experience of soaking in the public baths. The public library in Beitou is an architectural marvel and a wonderful sight to behold while walks around the town were immensely enjoyable.

Geothermal pond (note: the water here is boiling hot as evident from the steam!), Beitou, Taipei, Taiwan (2018)

Beitou Library, Beitou, Taipei, Taiwan (2018)

The year 2018 had been a good year of travel for me. For the new year in 2019, I do not have any trips plan as yet because I am still trying to finalise my professional work schedules. But I should still be visiting some new places which I have not previously visited before, including the Japanese city of Hiroshima. I may also embark on my first ever vacation trip to China. My previous visits to China were all work trips so I have not actually enjoy a holiday to this vast and beautiful Asian country as yet. But wherever I travel to in the new year, I will make the most of the trips to enjoy the experience and to appreciate the culture and history of the places. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg