Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg

I was awestruck by the grandness and magnificence of this building during my walking tour of the Old Town of Tallinn. While there, I had no opportunity to enter the building itself. Thus, admiring its facade and photographing its structure as I walked around its perimeter had to suffice. 

The Palace of Ungern-Sternberg, Tallinn, Estonia (2017)

Without knowing what this building was, its history and its name, the photographs I took allowed me to conduct basic research on it after the trip. 

Based on my rudimentary research into the building long after my trip to Tallinn, I was to discover that it was built in the year 1865 by the German architect, Martin Gropius. Also known as the Palace of Ungern-Sternberg, the building is today the home of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. The Academy is a group of scientists whose aim is to promote research & development and scientific cooperation as well as knowledge dissemination. 

The main building housing the Academy is a marvel of architecture from the 19th century. From its huge and expansive brick walls to its towering masts, even the casual visitor walking around Toompea Hill will not fail to notice this grand building. Despite being built more than 150 years ago the structure of the building remains very well maintained. To serendipitously chanced upon this building as I wandered around Toompea Hill was one of the highlights of my walking tour.

The Palace of Ungern-Sternberg, Tallinn, Estonia (2017)

If you are visiting Tallinn's Old Town and would like to see this building in person, just search the internet for either "Estonian Academy of Sciences" or "Palace of Ungern-Sternberg". 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing