Travel Bits: May 2019

Travelling at your own pace.......

Apart from business trips where are usually characterised by fixed timelines for flights and strict agendas to adhere to, I always love to take it slow and easy at my own pace whenever I travel on personal vacations. For this reason, I typically prefer not to travel with a large group on vacation. A smaller travelling party allows me to adjust the pace of the trip and to modify the itineraries as and when needed. Solo travelling of course means I have only to seek agreement with myself for any changes in travel plans.

My vacation trips are usually loosely based on a simple itinerary which only outlines the flights I am taking and the cities I will be visiting. Apart from these, the daily itineraries for the whole travel period are not decided upfront. I usually decide where to go and the sights to explore on the day itself. This flexibility is especially useful when unexpected travel road blocks crop up such as inclement weather.

When I was in Japan in the summer of 2014, the impending arrival of 2 separate but serious typhoons meant that I had to forgo my plan to visit Mount Fuji and its surrounding areas. I took that in my stride and spent an entire day enjoying myself in the safety and comfort of the huge underground shopping areas that are part of the Tokyo Main Station. Instead of sticking to my intended itinerary and braving the weather, I spent my time shopping, eating ramen and snacking on desserts. 

Visiting the grounds of the Toshogu Shrine after Typhoon Phanfone had cleared, Nikko, Tochigi Prefecture, Japan (2014)

On another occasion in Perth in June 2018, strong winds and rain meant my planned visit to Rottnest Island could not be realised. Instead of getting upset, I drove to Joondalup and treated myself to a day of shopping and eating. After all, Rottnest Island will still be there for my next trip to Western Australia. 

Clear weather at Cottesloe Beach before the arrival of heavy rains the next couple of days washed away my planned visit to Rottnest Island, Perth, Western Australia, Australia (2018) 

I could do all these because I had not placed myself under the burden of sticking to a fixed itinerary for my trips. I was always ready to change or modify travel plans if required. In our daily lives, most of us are already burdened by never ending timelines and the need to achieve those dreaded KPIs (a.k.a. Key Performance Indicators). There is thus no need to place those same demands on ourselves when we are on vacations. 

Take things easy, enjoy wherever experiences come our way and live for that moment. This is what a vacation is for. This is what traveling is meant to be. To chance upon encounters and experiences and to take back those previous travel moments with us.  And of course, a travel tale or two to share with family and friends over the casual coffee sessions.

Relax, travel and savour the joys of life.

A selection of cheese in the J Class Cabin onboard Flight SQ868 from Singapore to Hong Kong, Singapore (2019)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg