Laos, Luang Prabang - Hand-Woven Items

They were of all shapes and sizes and caught my eyes as I turned the corner of the narrow road on my way to lunch. Located just behind the hotel that I was staying were several small shops selling local items. I wouldn't exactly called them crafts because these items were not meant as art pieces. Neither were they created in one's leisure time nor were they meant to be peddled to tourists. Instead, these were obviously items used in the daily lives of the locals. 

Fish traps? Just my guess which could be wrong. Luang Prabang, Laos (2017)

There were baskets, food containers, fish traps (my guess, I could be wrong) and brooms. Intricately hand-made, I moved closer to marvel at the skills of those who made them. Presumably a skill handed down through the generations. These traditionally-made items whilst interesting to me, were meant to serve the daily needs of the locals.

Hand-made baskets, Luang Prabang, Laos (2017)

Whenever I travelled, these are the little things that I looked out for. These are things that help me better understand the local culture and lifestyles and to appreciate the traditions that locals hold dear. To me, travelling is not about clocking the number of destinations, the exoticness of the locations or the selfie opportunities for bragging rights and to attract more "likes" on social media.

Travelling is about small explorations and to grow mentally. Travelling has always been an educational experience for me. This is why I like to plan my trips at a leisurely pace, to ensure that I have sufficient time to explore, to see, to observe, to appreciate, to learn and to grow.

Shop selling hand-made items for daily use, Luang Prabang, Laos (2017)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg