Bucket List: Travelling back in time at Stonehenge

United Kingdom, England, Wiltshire - UNESCO World Heritage Site

Straight out of the history books and right before my eyes stood Stonehenge. That was what I experienced when I visited this neolithic era monument for the first time.

Stonehenge, Wiltshire, England, UK (2011)

It was the beginning of autumn in 2011 and the morning air was chilly at the site. Despite the cold, I bravely joined the crowd of visitors circling this prehistoric assembly of stones arranged in concentric rings, a monument both to its era and to the people who built it.

Slowly observing and studying the site as my walk progressed, I compared what I had read and learned from books and documentaries to what stood before me. This allowed me to better appreciate the depth of the historical significance of the site. And no, I was no selfie-seeking tourist gunning for that breakout viral photo on social media. I was a student of history, at least for that brief moment in time.

I remembered circling the site twice, maybe thrice during that visit. With each completed circle, I gained a better perspective of the site.

My childhood dream to visit Stonehenge completed, I proceeded to the gift shop to purchase some souvenirs for my visit. Soon, I was onboard the bus again for the next stop in my itinerary.

Stonehenge, Wiltshire, England, UK (2011)

Stonehenge, Wiltshire, England, UK (2011)

Stonehenge, Wiltshire, England, UK (2011)

A digital memento of my trip, Stonehenge, Wiltshire, England, UK (2011)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg