Japan, Otsu - Strolling around Town

It was my first time visiting Shiga Prefecture. I had arrived at Otsu from Takashima. It was spring and cherry blossoms (a.k.a. sakura) season and I was in Takashima specifically for the purpose of viewing cherry blossoms. Otsu was meant to be a brief transit stop for me, my next destination being Moriyama. 

Alighting from the train at Katata Station of the Kosei Line, I realised that I had about 45 minutes before the hotel shuttle would arrive. I thus decided to spend a bit of time exploring the immediate surroundings of the Station. There was a tourist information office just next to the Station and I went in, intending to look for interesting places to visit in the surrounding vicinity. After speaking with the staff, I realised that Otsu would be an interesting place to explore. Because I had "spare" days in my itinerary, I decided that I would be back in Otsu the next day to do a walking tour of the areas around Katata Station.

I was back in Otsu the next day. The hotel shuttle dropped me off at Katata Station and I started the day with a nice cup of coffee and a delicious slice of cake at a cafe located at a large supermarket just 5 minutes walk away. After my coffee and armed with a tourist map courtesy of the staff from the  tourist information office, I started my walk. As was typical of my unplanned walks, I did not intentionally head for any well-known sight-seeing sites. These sites were just waypoints in my walking routes, some kind of markers for me if I got lost along the way. Instead, I simply walked and enjoyed the surroundings. Anything interesting that crossed my path would simply be through pure chance.

A small wooden boat "parked" next to a residential house, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Enjoying the views of the small city streets and the narrow pedestrian lanes that traversed between rows of local residential houses, my day stroll in Otsu took me through the city in a quiet yet interesting way. I walked passed age-old temples, serene cemeteries, canals with water so clear I could looked right through to count the number of fishes swimming there and of course, cherry trees proudly swaying their once-a-year cherry blossoms in the light breeze. I walked quietly, enjoying the peace and quiet which were occasionally and rather pleasantly, interspersed with mutual exchanges of greetings with locals as we passed each other. I also took care not to photograph private residences at close range and locals so as not to intrude into their privacies.

Shrine, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Fish farming, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

A lone cherry tree displaying its spring cherry blossoms on the shores of Lake Biwa, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

An abundance of cherry blossoms from a cluster of cherry trees, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

A local residential house, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Riot of spring colours in this flower bed in front of a residential house, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Temple, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

One of the many temples and shrines I saw during my day walk around the city, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Photo-taking at the entrance to the Manjetsuji Temple, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Stone guardian at the entrance to a temple, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Shinto shrine, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Torii Gates, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

At dusk, I headed back in the general direction of the Katata Station. A fulfilling day strolling around the city achieved, the memory card of my DSLR choked full of digital mementos of my day in Otsu and an empty stomach ready for a sumptuous dinner. Passing Katata Station, I headed for the Daiichi Katata Farmhouse Restaurant. Located towards the north-east direction of the Station and about a 10 minute walk away, the restaurant is a cooperative of local dairy farmers and they served mouth-watering Omi beef. Considered one of the top three brands of wagyu in Japan, along with Matsusaka beef and Kobe beef, I would highly recommend Omi beef if you happen to visit Shiga. And if you are in Otsu, then the Daiichi Katata Farmhouse Restaurant would be my personal recommendation. Ask for the directions to the restaurant at the tourist information centre next to the Katata Station and they would gladly point out the way to you.

A selection of cuts of Omi beef,  Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

History and Geography

Located at the south-western corner of Lake Biwa, Otsu is the capital city of Shiga Prefecture. Home to many sites of historical and cultural importance, Otsu's history dates far back in time. For a brief period in the 7th century, this was Japan's capital. The city was of notable importance during the Edo Period due to its location and its port at Lake Biwa, the largest inland lake in Japan.

 View of Lake Biwa, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

What to See and Do

Mount Hiei located in the south of Otsu is steep in local folklore. It is also the home to the Mii-dera Temple and Enryaku-ji Temple, the latter is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto.

The areas around Katata Station which I had explored during my day walk includes many shopping and dining options. It also overlooks the Biwako Ohashi Bridge which connects the cities of Otsu and Moriyama. Many temples and shrines are also located in this area including Ukimido (a.k.a. Manjetsuji Temple) famous for its "floating temple hall" when seen at high tide. Ukimido is also one of the so-called Eight Views of Omi, traditional scenic views of Omi Province (present day Shiga Prefecture). 

The "floating temple hall" of Ukimido seen at low tide, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Getting There

From Kyoto, Otsu is easily reached via the JR West Kosei Line. Other rail lines that pass through Otsu from Kyoto are the Keihan Keishin Line and JR West Biwako Line. During my trip, I took the Kosei Line from Takashima to Otsu. I also took the same line from Otsu to Kyoto for my return trip to Osaka. 


Travel Tips and Advices

If you are neither a vegan, vegetarian nor have any dietary restrictions which require you to abstain from beef or red meat, then I highly recommend dining on Omi beef.

On the sight-seeing side, the Eight Views of Omi can be counted upon as an interesting and unique travel bucket list item. The eight views are: (1) Returning Sails at Yabase, (2) Evening Glow at Seta, (3) Autumn Moon at Ishiyama, (4) Clear Breeze at Awazu, (5) Evening Bell at Mii-dera, (6) Evening Rain at Karasaki, (7) Wild Geese returning home at Katata and (8) Evening Snow at Hira.

For the record, I only managed to achieve one of these eight views. It was the Wild Geese returning home at Katata which was the Ukimido.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg