Bucket List: Journey into a World of Anime Folklore

Jiufen, New Taipei City

Since watching the popular and award winning Japanese anime fantasy film, Spirited Away (千と千尋の神隠しin 2003, I had wondered how nice it would be if I could one day visit an actual place similar to that shown in the magical world portrayed in the film.

The dream became a reality years later in 2016 when I visited Jiufen for the first time during one of my frequent trips to Taipei. Just before the trip, I had transitioned from being a full-time employee to start my own consultancy business. Because I had just started my business and jobs had yet to materialise, I had the luxury of spending more time than usual on vacation. With that extra time on my hand, I planned a side trip to Jiufen, making sure to stay at least 2 nights there. While many visited Jiufen as a day trip, I wanted something more from my visit. To spend more time there so that I could explore the surrounding areas and to make use of the peace and quiet during the nights there to map out my strategy for my then-new business. 

Be transported into a magical world of fantasy in Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

And so I arrived in Jiufen on a cold rainy November day. I had took the subway from my hotel in Ximending to Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT Station (Exit 2) before transferring to a bus (Keelung Bus 1062) which took me all the way to Jiufen. A new bus service has since been introduced in 2018. This makes the trip from Taipei to Jiufen even more convenient for the independent traveller.

For me, these lanterns were responsible for imbibing the magic to the town, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

After finally managing to locate my accommodation by asking around for directions, I had a quick shower and changed into dry clothing. Armed with an umbrella, I was ready to explore. My first day of exploration was around the Jiufen Old Street area. A quick and sumptuous lunch was followed by hours of walking through the Old Street to explore the many shops there which retail all kinds of snacks and knickknacks. Many of the stuff sold there reminded me of my childhood days because some of these items can no longer be found (or at least not easily found) in my native Singapore of today.

The local eatery where I had my lunches during my stay, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

The menu was literally on the wall. But you could order dishes not on the menu on request, subjected to availability of ingredients, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

The friendly proprietress of the eatery, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Clams stir-fried in garlic and local vegetables, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Fish balls soup, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Friend oyster omelette, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Stir-fried local vegetables, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

I enjoyed myself jostling with the throngs of day-trippers who arrived by the bus loads. I decided that photography would be best left to the night when the crowd would thinned as the day trippers leave to return to the city itself. Without the need to take carry a camera, my hands were free to browse through all the items on display for sale. I could also constantly held on to a snack or two as I munched my way throughout my window shopping experiences.

Deep fried squid, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

A shop selling masks, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Toys, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Bubble gums, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Sweets, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Bottled colas, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Charms for sale, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

I bought some pieces of exquisite hand-crafted pottery at this shop, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Signboard outside the Shengping Theatre (now a museum), Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)



This photo showed the crowd to expect, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Another photo evidence of the crowd, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

When daylight ended and night arrived, the magic of Jiufen truly came alive. The thousands of fairy lights from the shops, the cafes and tea houses as well as those from the ships out in the sea transformed Jiufen into the magic wonderland that I had came to see. Immediately, I silently congratulated myself on my decision to spend 2 nights here instead of just visiting as a day trip.

The famous A-Mei Teahouse during the day, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

A-Mei Teahouse at night, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

As expected, the crowd started to thin slightly after 7pm as the day trippers left and by 9pm, Jiufen was totally quiet. No crowd and no noise. Peaceful and serene. The shops had also closed along with the departure of the last day-trip bus. I was alone. Just Jiufen and myself. Out came my camera and I had the whole place to myself to photograph in any way I want. Thankfully, the lights were still lit and I took my time to compose and fire away those photographic shots. This was the moment I was waiting for. This was the moment why I had visited Jiufen. To be transported into a magical world, similar to the one I had seen in the film. For that one moment in time, I was figuratively Spirited Away

As the night progressed, I walked out to the main street where two convenience stores were opened 24-hours. Buying snacks and coffee, I sat eating my supper while looking out to the sea as the drizzle from the rain continued. Cold winds blew in from the sea while I sat and enjoyed the true pleasures of solitude. A bucket list item on my travel wish list freshly completed.

Jiufen at night, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

The next day was spent hiking in the hills around Jiufen and exploring on foot, the areas away from the main streets. A now abandoned Gold Mine from the era as far back as the Qing Dynasty became one of the unintended discovery of my unplanned walking tour. Other "discoveries" during my walk include small tea houses as well as abandoned old houses. My macro lens was working in overtime mode as I took hundreds of photographs of the many plants, flowers and insects seen during my hike and walk.

Me on my hike, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

View from the top during my hike up the hills, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Up the hills I went, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Houses as seen as I climbed up the hills, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Old teahouse far away from the crowd and main streets, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Another teahouse located away from the crowd and main streets, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

A typical house in the town, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

My 3-day, 2-night stay in Jiufen soon ended and after breakfast on the morning of the third day, I was at the bus stop waiting for the bus to take me back to Taipei city. 

Myself, having coffee and cakes while taking time out to write my journal entries, Jiufen, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (2016)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg