Bucket List: Swimming in a natural Waterfall

Kuang Si Falls and Tat Sae Waterfall, Luang Prabang, Laos

For someone like myself who was born in, grew up in and lived in a highly urbanised city my whole life, swimming in a natural waterfall has always been a personal bucket list item. Combined that with swimming in a waterfall during my travels and that wish instantly becomes a travel bucket list item.

When I visited the Kuang Si Waterfall during a trip to Luang Prabang, I was thrilled when my guide informed me that I could actually swim in parts of the waterfall. Packing my swim trunks in my backpack on the day of my visit, I finally got to check off this bucket list item.

Main Fall of Kuang Si Waterfalls, Luang Prabang, Laos (2017)

Although the main fall has a height of close to 60m, the lower levels of this multi-tiered waterfall include cascade pools where the water levels are relatively shallow, the deepest point being around 1.8m. 

One of the lower-tier of Kuang Si Waterfalls, Luang Prabang, Laos (2017)

The beautiful color of the water in the many cascade pools of  Kuang Si Waterfalls, Luang Prabang, Laos (2017)

After marvelling the main fall and taking lots of photographs of the beautiful turquoise-coloured water of the lower pools, I selected a small pool further down the main fall as my swim spot. Upon confirming with my guide that swimming is permitted in this pool, I stripped off to my swim trunks and plunged into the pool. The cold water gave me a pleasant shocked as I emerged from my plunge, standing waist deep in the water, dripping wet and having my balls literally frozen from the sudden change in temperature! This was an experience that is truly memorable.

Myself, emerging from the natural forest pool after my swim, Kuang Si Waterfalls, Luang Prabang, Laos (2017)

Eye-level view of the water in the pool where I swam, Kuang Si Waterfalls, Luang Prabang, Laos (2017)

My bucket item list checked, I continued to frolic in the pool, enjoying the natural environment and the forest around me. Hmmm... this could have been my first experience in forest bathing. Soon, I was joined by several other tourists from America and Europe. Seeing me in the water must have convinced them that swimming is permitted in this pool. 

After Kuang Si Falls, I visited another beautiful waterfall near Luang Prabang two days later. That was the Tat Sae Waterfall which is equally if not more spectacular compared to Kuang Si Falls. Needless to say, I swam in the pools of Tat Sae Waterfall as well. 

Visitors crossing a small tributary of the Mekong River to get to Tat Sae Waterfalls, Bak En, Luang Prabang Province, Laos (2017)

Placing my camera lens on the side of the small boat, I captured this photograph of the placid waters of the small river that separates Bak En Village from Tat Sae Waterfalls during my river crossing to get to the Falls, Bak En, Luang Prabang Province, Laos (2017)

Tat Sae Waterfalls, Bak En, Luang Prabang Province, Laos (2017)

Tat Sae Waterfalls, Bak En, Luang Prabang Province, Laos (2017)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg