Travel Bits: December 2020

Its almost Christmas of 2020....... and time for my travel reminiscence of the year.......

20 December 2020, 5 days to Christmas. Time to slow down, take things easy and enjoy the festive period between Christmas and New Year.

And the year-end period is also typically the time when I reminiscence for the year that is ending, including my travels for the past twelve months. This year's reminiscence of travel is definitely different from years past. With Covid being the wrecking ball that it has been on almost everything in 2020, travel had been an impossibility or near-impossibility. For the whole of this year, my one and only trip out of my country of residence was in late January 2020 when I travelled to Malaysia's Kuala Lumpur and areas around it in Selangor State. The trip was memorable in the time spent with family members located across the border, not knowing at that time that it will be quite a while before I will get to see them face-to-face again. Yes, we still keep in touch via phone calls and social media but nothing beats sitting down together for a meal and coffee and sharing titbits of our lives and a joke or two. Or strolling as a family in parks and malls.

Besides my January trip, my only other vacation time for the year was a local staycation in the Marina Bay area in the southern part of Singapore. But that was all there was to my travels for 2020! A rather dreadful and forgettable year for travel. An annus horribilis, if I may put it, for all who work in or depend on the travel and hospitality industries.

And like almost everyone else, my businesses and work have of course also been affected by Covid. Thankfully, I managed to navigate through these economically-trying times fairly well and am definitely very grateful to the Big Guy who resides in Heaven for this. 

Let's look forward to 2021 and hope that the new year will be a kinder one to everybody. Goodbye 2020 and let's not meet again.

 
Christmas decorations, Langham Place, Mong Kok, Hong Kong SAR, China (2019)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg