Travel Bits: July 2022

Sense of normality...... 

And so the first week of July saw me complete my third leisure trip of the year. Now, three short leisure trips in a year, undertaken within the same region where I live, is really nothing to shout about. But considering the myriad travel restrictions imposed in the past two plus years because of a global pandemic, three trips within three months certainly do count for something. Yes, the optimist in me will now dare to softly whisper that for leisure travel, we are slowly returning to a sense of normality.

A photo to capture the memory of my first visit to the city, Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia (2022)

While there are still additional paperwork and administrative matters required before one can travel, these requirements have gradually been watered down by many national and regional authorities, such that they are now at acceptable levels, at least to me. Some inconveniences, but tolerable.

I am glad to say that after my three short trips, I had now clocked two firsts in my travels. These were experiencing my cruise holiday and visiting a city for the first time.

My first cruise experience was a good one and now I am planning at least one more next year with another one already booked for later this year.

Church of the Assumption, Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia (2022)

George Town, capital city of the Malaysian state of Penang was the city I had visited for the first time, thanks to a port stopover as part of my cruise itinerary. While I only had a few hours on land in Georgetown, I still managed to accomplished my usual short walking tour of the city (a.k.a. travelwithoutfixedplans), dine on local hawker food, took lots of photographs and videos and enjoyed myself as a bona fide tourist.

Next up on my travel plans, a trip to Kuala Lumpur in the first week of August. This will be another short regional trip, but no doubt will be another enjoyable trip because I will be meeting up with family and friends. 

Leisure travel is back! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg