Bucket List: City by Lake Biwa

Japan, Shiga Prefecture, Moriyama

This article was originally published in this blog in May 2019.

It chronicled my visit to Moriyama, a city in Japan's Shiga Prefecture. I had arrived in Moriyama from Takashima, another city in Shiga.

My 2-day stay in Moriyama was planned to be a leisurely stop in my itinerary with nothing much planned except to enjoy the beautiful views of Lake Biwa. However, this short stay turned out to be a rather interesting part of my overall trip as I discovered lots of things to see and do. As I checked out of my hotel in my third day here for my onward journey to Tokyo, I left knowing I will return because there are still much to see and do here. 

******************

First Impressions

My first view of the city was when the hotel bus rolled into the city over the scenic Biwako Ohashi Bridge over Lake Biwa. I had boarded the free shuttle provided by the Lake Biwa Marriott for hotel guests at Katata Station on the Kosei Line. With those first views, the initial apprehensions that I might had chosen the wrong location to stay in for the next 2 days of my trip vanished like footprints in the sand.

A Pokemon-themed vending machine in Moriyama, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)


The scenic Biwako Ohashi Bridge as seen from the eastern side of Lake Biwa from Moriyama, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Moriyama is located in Shiga Prefecture, just north-east of the famous city of Kyoto. My accommodation at the Lake Biwa Marriott offered me a panoramic view of Lake Biwa. The several small parks in the vicinity of the hotel, which itself is located on the shores of Lake Biwa and relatively near to the Biwako Ohashi Bridge, provided good options for my evening strolls to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the area.  

My hotel accommodation  at the Lake Biwa Marriott provided a panoramic view of Lake Biwa, Moriyama, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

What To See and Do

From the hotel staff, I discovered that the cities of Omihachiman and Hikone are just short train rides away. I visited Omihachiman based on the staffs' personal recommendations and fell in love with this quaint and quiet city which is home to many houses and structures dating back to the Edo Period. Regretfully, I did not have enough time to visit Hikone and its historically significant Hikone Castle.

The city of Omihachiman is the place to visit if you are in Shiga, Omihachiman, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Besides the day trip to Omihachiman, I also spent my time strolling the parks located on the shores of Lake Biwa, shopped at the nearby shopping centre located near the Biwako Ohashi Bridge, explored the areas around Honkatata of Otsu on foot and visited its many shrines including Ukimido, the famous floating temple hall of Mangetsuji Temple.

Sculpture at the small park located at the shores of Lake Biwa across the road from the Lake Biwa Marriott, Moriyama, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Ukimido, the famous floating temple hall of Mangetsuji Temple. During high tides, the hall seems to float on the sea. Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Mangetsuji Temple, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

It was in Otsu that I ate the famous Omi Beef for the first time. Considered one of the top 3 wagyu beef brand from Japan, Omi Beef is also the oldest with a history that reportedly dates back more than 400 years.

Different cuts of the famous Omi Beef which is considered one of the top 3 wagyu beef from Japan, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Grilling Omi Beef on the stove, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Vegetable condiments to accompany the Omi Beef, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Mixed vegetables rice bowl, Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

My 3-days and 2-nights sojourn was over in the blink of an eye and as I departed the city for Kyoto, I promised myself I will be back to Moriyama and Shiga. I was glad that I had chosen to stay in Moriyama or I would never had known about the many interesting and beautiful places in Shiga Prefecture that are located near this city.

Scenic view of Lake Biwa from my hotel room at the Lake Biwa Marriott, Moriyama, Shiga Prefecture, Japan (2018)

Getting There

Getting to Moriyama from Kyoto is relatively straight forward. As I had booked my stay at the Lake Biwa Marriott and the hotel provides free shuttles at regular intervals from Katata Station, I took the Kosei Line from Kyoto Station and alighted at Katata Station. This same line will also bring you to Takashima which was another city on my itinerary during my trip.

If you are travelling direct to Moriyama and the other cities located on the eastern side of Lake Biwa from Kyoto, you should take the Biwako Line which will bring you to Moriyama Station, passing by Otsu Station along the way and continuing to Omihachiman Station and Hikone Station before ending at Maibara Station. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg