Bucket List: Month-long Pan-Asia Trip

Month-long Pan-Asia Trip, East and South-Asia Asia

This was a major trip which took me months to plan. Because there were many key details to follow such as accommodation, train travel times and inter-city transport connectivities, I had to cancel and re-book many of my hotels and train tickets bookings repeatedly. And also because I was visiting many of the places for the first time, my only source of information was from the internet. Not much of this information was accurate and some of the inaccuracies nearly resulted in me missing my inter-city connections. Lesson learnt and note to self, take information from the internet with a big pinch of salt!

But this was a wonderful trip. I am unlikely to be able to go on such a long trip with so many different destinations in one single vacation again anytime soon. Work schedule always dictates that I can go away for at most two weeks at any one time. Thus, I was really glad I managed to complete this trip. While I had to lug my work laptop with me and work intermittently on most days, I have no complaints. After all, my work paid for my trip, literally!

******************

In August 2023, I embarked on a month-long trip across four East and South-East Asian countries, spanning multiple cities, many of which I visited for the first time.

One of the highlights of my month-long Pan-Asia trip was an unplanned visit to Kumamoto Castle, Kumamoto, Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan (2023)

My trip started on 29th July when I flew from Singapore's Changi International Airport to Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Tokyo thus became the first city stop. 

A photo collage of my time at Singapore Airline's SilverKris Lounge while waiting to board my flight to Tokyo, Terminal 3, Changi International Airport, Changi, Singapore (2023)

Even though I had visited Tokyo multiple times previously, there were always new places to visit and new experiences to uncover in one of the largest metropolis of the world. I visited the iconic Tokyo Skytree for the first time, had dinner in a posh restaurant located near its top which granted me the proverbial bird's eye panoramic views of the surrounding areas including the famous Sensoji (浅草寺, Sensōji, a.k.a. Asakusa Kannon Temple). Also in Tokyo, I spent time in the Nihonbashi area and discovered amazing dining experiences.

Next up, I traveled by Shinkansen from Tokyo to Niigata Prefecture, passing by Saitama and Gunma Prefectures, enjoying the scenarios of the train ride. I stayed in a hotel in Niigata but made daily trips by train to Nagaoka for the famous Nagaoka Fireworks Festival (a.k.a. Hanabi Matsuri). I also enjoyed the experience of a joyful tourist train ride for the first time, traveling from Tsuruoka in Yamagata Prefecture to Niigata. Prior to this, I have never been to the Prefectures of Gunma, Niigata and Yamagata. Thus, there were many firsts for me, in terms of places and experiences.

Sasagawa, Niigata Prefecture, Japan (2023)

Coast of Sea of Japan near Atsumi Onsen, Tsuruoka, Yamagata Prefecture, Japan (2023)

Then, it was back to Tokyo for last minute shopping in the Shinjuku and Ginza areas before I left for Yokohama. I had previously visited Yokohama once before on a day trip from Tokyo. It was more than 10 years ago and I could not remember much of that single day sojourn. This time, I stayed overnight in the city for two nights and surprisingly chanced upon the Pokemon World Championship 2023 event. Being a fan of the Pokemon series of Pocket Monsters, I was naturally delighted. My two-day stay in the city allowed me more time to explore the surrounding marina areas on foot, clocking extensive mileage based on steps count!

A wild Pikachu appeared, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan (2023)

From Yokohama, I boarded a cruise ship and sailed for Shimizu. Unfortunately, weather conditions of an impending typhoon scuttled my plans to visit Shimizu (which could be another first for me) and Osaka. Instead, the ship re-routed to Kumamoto taking up two full sea days. No complaints here because I had always wanted to visit this Prefecture and meet its famous mascot, Kumamon. And so, met Kummon I did. And to sweeten this unplanned visit, I also managed to insert a visit to the Kumamoto Castle. Shopping and dining took up the remainder of my day in Kumamoto city before I returned to the port of Yatsushiro to re-board the cruise ship as I headed for my last stop in Japan in the trip. 

Kumamon, Yatshushiro, Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan (2023)

The Castle and Me, Kumamoto Castle, Kumamoto, Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan (2023)

Arriving at Kagoshima, I woke up in the morning, ventured out to the balcony of my cruise cabin and was greeted by the magnificent sight of Sakurajima. This icon of Kagoshima is both an active volcano and an island, located just across Kagoshima city. Again, shopping, dining and sight-seeing took up my entire port day before I returned to port to clear customs, got my passport stamped for departure from Japan. Again, both Kumamoto and Kagoshima Prefectures were first visits for me.

Sakurajima, Kagoshima, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan (2023)

Next up, the cruise ship sailed from the East China Sea, through the Taiwan Straits to Hong Kong, China. After two full days at sea, the ship arrived at the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal in Kowloon Bay. I had visited Hong Kong a couple of months back before this trip but I would never say no to a trip to this vibrant and bustling oriental city. Spending my port day in the Kowloon area shopping and dining was a joy. Soon, I made my way by shuttle bus, courtesy of the Hong Kong Tourism Authority, back to port and the cruise ship soon pulled away from port as scheduled. My first for this visit was to arrive in Hong Kong by sea for the first time.

The cruise ship I sailed in during my trip, Spectrum of the Seas, Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (2023)

Sailing pass China's Hainan to the west, the ship soon entered South-East Asia after a full day at sea. I woke up in the morning to see Nha Trang for the first time though my cabin's balcony door. I had arrived in Vietnam! My first visit to Nha Trang and my first visit to Vietnam in many years! Exploring around the port area took up a couple of hours and I was soon back onboard the ship getting ready for the next port stop, Phú Mỹ. 

View of Nha Trang, Khánh Hòa Province, Vietnam (2023)

The next day saw me waking up in the port of Phú Mỹ. Disembarking early to join the day-tour to Ho Chi Minh City, I was soon on the tour bus with my fellow passengers as we headed into present day Ho Chi Minh City. Still referred to as Saigon, its previous name, by many locals, this was my second trip to the city. Compared to my previous trip many years ago, the city has surely grown. Many tall skyscrapers now filled its skyline and the streets are now much wider, cleaner and definitely more modern. Here, I had my favourite Pho noodles and covered much of the city on foot to sightsee. Soon, it was time ti leave for the port again and my visit to Saigon fast became a cherished memory of my trip.

Pho noodles, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (2023)

A sea-day followed and I woke up on the last day of my month-long trip to see the familiar sight of Singapore's Marina Cruise Centre. Disembarked, cleared immigration and customs and I was soon back home after 27 days of travelling. A new milestone for me. Thus, I completed my month-long Pan-Asia travel and ticked off a key travel bucket list item. Within this trip, there were also numerous other travel bucket list items checked. What a trip!

Some of the selfies I took onboard Spectrum of the Seas on sea days, Spectrum of the Seas, East and South-East Asia (2023)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg