Random Thoughts - Travel Journals

I had previously posted articles about going analogue and using physical notebooks for my daily and travel journaling. While it can be cumbersome to bring along physical writing materials as I go about my daily schedule or during my travels, nothing beats having physical pens, pencils and notebooks to write with. Physical writing helps me relax and unlocks my mind as I pen down my thoughts and experiences.

Most people I know maintain just one physical journal for everything. I like this concept but for me, I prefer to compartmentalise my writings separately in different journals. The burden of bringing more notebooks in my bag is "lightened" by using simple minimalist-designed notebooks. I thus have a combination of standard A5-sized notebooks, the slim A5-height Traveler's Notebook (TN) in their so-called Regular Size and of course, smaller TNs in their Passport Size editions. I usually don't carry with me any physical notebooks bigger than A5 in size due to weight and space considerations.

So, how many physical journals and notebooks do I maintain? Here's a quick rundown:

1. Personal Journal - This is an A5-sized notebook which I use to write my personal thoughts and experiences. I consider my personal journal to be really personal. The writings in this journal are for my eyes only. Much like a diary, I don't want anyone reading this journal other than myself!

2. Life & Travel Journal - This is a journal that I use to record my daily and travel experiences and adventures. It can be anything; one-liner thoughts, poetry or descriptions of a place that I visited. As I need to bring this journal with me during my travels, I use an A5-sized hardcover notebook. And because I also write with fountain pens and occasionally doodle or draw with both fountain pens and coloured pencils, I chose a notebook with thicker paper so that my fountain pen inks do not bleed through to the next page. For this journal, I use a Dingbats Hardcover Notebook with 100gsm paper.

3. Life & Travel Scrapbook - This scrapbook is used in conjunction with my Life & Travel Journal. It may contain the same contents as my Life & Travel Journal but is usually used less formally where I may scribble, jot down notes, record my visits to a place or shop with stamps, doodle and so on. When I need to travel light and do not wish to bring along my Life & Travel Journal, I depend on this scrap book. For this, I use a Regular-sized Traveler's Notebook, usually with no more than 2 inserts.

4. Arts and Doodle Journal - This journal is used to draw or doodle. Doodling will be a more accurate description since my drawings are horrible! Again, I use a Regular-sized Traveler's Notebook, usually fitted with a refill with thicker paper designed for drawing and water-colour painting. I don't use this  Traveler's Notebook with more than 2 inserts.

5. Scheduler & Planner - This is my daily scheduler and planner which I used to jot down my work appointments, project milestones and such. When travelling it doubles as a notebook that contains details of my accommodation bookings, transportation timings, restaurant reservations and other little travel-related details. This is another Regular-sized Traveler's Notebook, but with a Monthly Planner refill and a general blank notebook refill.

6. Draft Manuscripts Journal - This is a simple A5-sized softcover notebook that I use for my writings on-the-go. When inspiration strikes, a short story or paragraphs of a novel will be written in this journal. 

7. Little Black Book - This is a small-sized notebook I used to record details such as account numbers and passwords. Writing such important details in a notebook? Of course not the full account numbers and passwords. I have a personal system to encode details of my account numbers and passwords such that from what was recorded, only I am able to decode the series of dashes and dotes. Anyone picking up this notebook will never be able to guess the decoding algorithm since it is not based on any real-world encoding mechanisms. This is my Little Black Book and I use a Passport-sized Traveler's Notebook. 

These are all that are to my many active journals. I usually only bring along the Life & Travel Scrapbook and Scheduler & Planner with me when I go about my daily life. At times when I feel that I will be spending more time in a cafe, than my Life & Travel Journal and Draft Manuscripts Journal may come along. 

My Personal Journal and Little Black Book are always kept in my drawer at my work desk. Thus, while I have 7 active journals, only 2 to 3 of these will be with me at any time. Still much lighter and more convenient than a laptop and its power charger! And unlike a laptop, I don't have to remove my journals from my bag at airport security. That's the kind of convenience that I enjoy.

Me, journaling during "me time" on a cruise, Spectrum of the Seas, East China Sea (2023)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg