Bucket List: Kairi Joyful Train Ride

Japan, Niigata and Yamagata Prefectures, Kairi Joyful Train Ride

This blog post describes my experiences taking a tourist train for the first time. The trip was in August 2023 when I traveled to Niigata Prefecture for the Nagaoka Fireworks Festival.

A sign in Car No 3 of the Kairi Train, Tsuruoka, Yamagata Prefecture, Japan (2023)

******************

Watching train documentaries on Japan's NHK World Channel, I had always wondered what it would be like to experience a ride in one of Japan's so-called tourist trains.

The opportunity to actually ride on one presented itself when I visited Niigata Prefecture in August 2023 to attend the Nagaoka annual Fireworks Festival. I extended my stay in Niigata by an extra day and night so that I can actually catch a ride on the Kairi Tourist Train.

The icing on the cake was that my 7-day Japan Rail Pass allowed me to ride on the Kairi in Car 1 without any additional charges. I just need to make a reservation in advance. I originally intended to pay extra to ride on Car 4 which is the Dining Car or failing that, to ride on Car 2. But seats went fast. By the time I login online to make my reservations, all seats in both Cars 2 and 4 were already fully booked for both the trips from Niigata Station (Niigata Prefecture) to Sakata Station (Yamagata Prefecture) and back from Sakata Station to Niigata Station. This despite that I had login just an hour after reservations were released on the train operator's website. Nevertheless, I was glad there were still seats available in Car 1 for the trip from Atsumi-Onsen Station to Niigata Staion on the date that I wanted. 

Atsumi-Onsen Station, Yamagata Prefecture, Japan (2023)

On the day of the ride, I took the normal inter-city train from Niigata Station to Atsumi-Onsen Station just to catch the Kairi Tourist Train that will be arriving from Sakata Station at Atsumi-Onsen Station.

Atsumi-Onsen Station is a small local station facing the Sea of Japan. There is a small village nearby and some shops. But no cafes which offer sit-in dining. While waiting out the time for the Kairi Train, I took a stroll to the sea, took photographs, bought some fishing accessories from a fishing tackle shop and some snacks from a pastry shop. Both shops are located just 2 minutes walk from the station itself. There are vending machines for coffee and soft-drinks at the station located in a small air-conditioned space for passengers to wait for the trains. 

My cup of warm coffee on the Kairi Joyful Train, Murakami Station, Niigata Prefecture , Japan (2023)

Soon, the Kairi Train arrived and I was happy to board it. My first time on an actual Japanese Tourist Train! Walking from Car 2 to Car 1, I saw that all the compartments in Car 2 were indeed taken up, many by just one or two passengers even though each compartment can seat up to 4 passengers. I guess most of these folks simply booked all 4 seats in the compartment so that they can enjoy some "me-time" during their joy ride on the train. Car 3 was an open car with no passenger seats. Located here is a kiosk selling drinks and souvenirs. I purchased a cup of hot coffee, stamped my travel journal with the unique Kairi Train Stamp and simply immersed myself enjoying the beautiful coastal views of the Sea of Japan as the train went on its merry way.

View inside Car 1, Kairi Joyful Train, Sakamachi Station, Niigata Prefecture, Japan (2023)

I also took lots of videos. Mainly videos because to me, a still-photograph will not do justice to the experience of riding the Kairi Train. A short video of a collection of clips is posted on my YouTube Channel : TANKS Travel Tales. Here is the link to the video: Japan's Kairi Joyful Train.

At Sasagawa-nagare Station, the train stopped for about 10 minutes to 15 minutes. I cannot remember the actual time the train stopped here so if you are taking the train, it is better to check with the Train Attendant. 

Sasagawa-nagare Station, Niigata Prefecture, Japan (2023)

For this brief stop, passengers were encouraged to alight here to take in the beautiful views of the Sea of Japan. There are also shops linked to the station where passengers may buy local produce, souvenirs, enjoy a cup of beverage, some warm food or simply take photographs of the beautiful scenery.

Shop at Sasagawa-nagare Station, Niigata Prefecture, Japan (2023)

After Sasagawa-nagare Station, the train passed by Kuwagawa, Murakami, Sakamachi, Nakajō and Shibata Stations before arriving at its final stop, Niigata Station. 

Alighting at Niigata Station, I had just ticked off several travel bucket list items rolled into one; travel on a tourist train, travel on a Japanese tourist train, travel onboard the Kairi Joyful Train and visit Yamagata Prefecture.

Kairi Joyful Train

Here is a summarised breakdown of all 4 cars in the Kairi Joyful Train:

Car 1 - For basic fare tickets and reserved seat tickets passengers. This is a basic car with 30 reclining seats for up to 60 passengers.

Car 2 - For basic fare tickets and reserved seat tickets passengers. This car consists of Private Compartment seats with each compartment designed to seat up to four people. 

Car 3 - This car has a kiosk that sells primarily “Niigata and Shonai" food. The kiosk also sells original KAIRI-themed packages, drinks, snacks, and unique boxed lunches.

Car 4 - This is the exclusive Dining Car. It can seat up to 24 spassengers and includes both two-person and four-person seating arrangements. Here, passengers will also be served “Niigata and Shonai" food featuring local ingredients.

For more detailed information, visit the official website at Kairi Joyful Train.

Stations between Niigata Station and Sakata Station on the route of the Kairi Joyful Train:

1. Niigata

2. Shibata

3. Nakajō

4. Sakamachi

5. Murakami

6. Kuwagawa

7. Sasagawa-nagare

8. Atsumi-Onsen

9. Tsuruoka

10. Amarume

11. Sakata

Sasagawa-nagare Station, Niigata Prefecture, Japan (2023)

Kairi Train Sign, Atsumi-Onsen Station, Yamagata Prefecture, Japan (2023)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg