Post-Trip Recollections - Konichiwa Yokohama

In August 2023, I made only my second visit to the city of Yokohama. This despite that I had visited numerous times over the past years.

Only slightly more than an hour by regular train from Tokyo, Yokohama is located south in the prefecture of Kanagawa. Most famous for its port, Yokohama is today also where large cruise ships visit to pick up or drop off passengers. 

Pokémon  at the marina waterfront, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan (2023)

Famous landmarks for visitors to the city include the Red Brick Warehouse, Cup Noodles Museum Yokohama, Yokohama Chinatown as well as the Minato Mirai district located just next to the sea.

Cable Car, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan (2023)

The main intent of my trip to Yokohama was not to visit the city for sightseeing. I was there to board the cruise ship, Spectrum of the Seas for my cruise from this city to Singapore. But I decided to stay in Yokohama for 2 nights prior to boarding the cruise. The reason being to give my itinerary enough buffer time in the event of any change of plans. And secondly, to allow myself some time to explore parts of the city.

Red Brick Warehouse, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan (2023)

I was glad I decided to stay for not one but two nights in Yokohama during this trip. My visit coincided with the Pokémon World Championship 2023. This was unexpected and a pleasant surprise as I am a big Pokémon fan. The areas around Minato Mirai were decked out in all things Pokémon. There were Pokémon along the sidewalks, in the malls, everywhere. Naturally, I had a great time visiting the Pokémon event, collecting souvenirs and taking lots of photos.

Pedestrians crossings, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan (2023)

Besides Pokémon, I also did a fair amount of shopping, including purchasing a large luggage for my extra shopping items! I did not have enough time in the city or I would have had a pair of prescriptive eyeglasses made as well.

A photo to remember my visit, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan (2023)

Staying in the APA Hotel & Resort Yokohama was also a good decision on my part. Located near the port and within walking distance of lots of local attractions, I could look out of the tiny window in my room to view cruise ships berthed nearby. 

Cruise ship berthed at the port, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan (2023)

While the room was small, the hotel has its own onsen and as a guest, I was allowed to use the onsen anytime I like during the onsen's opening hours. Having a good soak in the hot pools of the onsen after a tiring day of walking and shopping was a luxury in itself. Like all Japanese onsens, one is expected to throughly clean oneself before immersing totally nude in the pools for a good soak. If you are shy about baring it all in front of strangers, then a Japanese onsen experience may not be the kind of thing that you will enjoy. For myself, there were no such inhibitions and I enjoyed every soak I had in the onsen. 

Yokohama's iconic Ferris Wheel, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan (2023)

Walking around the Minato Mirai district and visiting almost every single mall in the area, I had a great time during my 2-nights stay in Yokohama. Boarding Spectrum of the Seas, I was sad to say sayonara to Yokohama and promised myself to visit again, soon.

My delicious dinner at a food court inside the Red Brick Warehouse, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan (2023)

Comments

  1. "I love how this blog breaks down the details of Worldwide Travel Insurance services. It's both educational and engaging!"
    Choose Travel Insurance Saver for taking the benefit of Worldwide Travel Insurance and enjoy your trip with confidence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg