Bucket List: Hot Spring Resort Town

Taiwan, Beitou, Hot Spring Resort Town

This bucket list article described my experience visiting the hor spring resort town of Beitou in the mountains slightly north-east of Taipei.

Not the traditional off-the-beaten-track location, Beitou is well-known amongts locals and international visitors for its hot spring resorts. Despite having visited Taipei many times, I had only been to Beitou once, just once. Why? I always had so many items cramped into my itinerary whenever I visit Taipei that I simply could not find the time to get away to relax and simply do nothing except to soak in the hot springs. Well, once is better than none and I still have a promise to myself to return to Beitou again. Hopefully soon.

******************

Taipei City's Beitou District is well regarded by locals and international visitors alike for its hot springs and the many hot springs resorts in the area.

Being a resort town of sorts has its merits. Here, life is noticeably slower than the rat race in Taipei City itself. There are no rush hours and no last minute trains to catch to rush off to another destination. In Beitou, it is all about relaxation and mindfulness. Take it slow, relax, stroll, eat, chill and of course, soak in the natural hot spring waters direct from the mountains.

One important caution to note is that the many outdoor natural pools here are not for soaking because the natural water temperature is so hot that it will most certainly be fatal if one gets into these pools, whether knowingly or unknowingly! Soak only in the pools inside the many resorts in town where the temperatures are regulated. Some of these resorts allow non-staying guests to use their hot spring pools for a fee. Simply enquire at their respective guests counters.


A natural outdoor hot spring in Beitou. The water temperature here is near boiling point! Never ever get near or into this or any other outdoor natural pools!! Beitou, Taipei City, Taiwan (2018)

In autumn when the weather starts to get noticeably colder, especially in the nights, soaking in the hot springs of Beitou brings with it a relaxation like no other. For me, this was a true travel bucket list item, especially coming from a country where there are no natural hot springs, or any real public baths to begin with.

So what was it like to soak in a hot spring in the cold autumn nights of Beitou? Magical! Unlike in Japan where many hot springs resorts have issues with people with tattoos patronising hot springs, here in Beitou, there are no such old-fashioned hangups. Tattoos? Nobody cares!

And because I have tattoos, I can truly relax in the hot springs here without having to worry about being asked to leave; simply because I have tattoos! 

Writing this short article brings back so much good memories of my one and only trip to Beitou that I am really questioning myself why I had only been there once? 

I shall return again to soak my stress away in Beitou's hot springs, tattoos et al!

Natural landscapes dot various locations in and around Beitou, Taipei City, Taiwan (2018)


A tourist information guide map of Beitou, Taipei City, Taiwan (2018)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing