UK, Scotland, Loch Ness - Living the Legend of the Loch

Loch Ness is the largest lake in Scotland by volume. Reaching depths at up to 230 metres (about 750 ft) in some areas, it is not surprising that Loch Ness comes with legends of its own. Chief amongst the legends associated with this large Scottish Loch is the Loch Ness Monster (a.k.a. Nessie).

Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

I first read about Loch Ness and the Loch Ness Monster when I was a school librarian at the age of 9 years old! Since then, the legend of the Loch Ness Monster has continued to fascinate me. As I grew older, my perception of the possibilities of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster changes but somehow, I still choose to nostalgically believe in the legend! Thus, when I finally visited the famous and legendary Loch in September 2011, it was one item off my bucket list!

Travelling north from Glasgow into the Scottish Highlands and passing by famous landmarks such as Glen Coe and the city of Inverness, I finally reached Loch Ness after several hours. As the bus drove along parts of the length of Loch Ness, I was finally face to face with the legendary Loch! To the right side of the bus was the famous Loch. To the left side was dense forested areas. 

Finally, the bus pulled to a stop at the Clansman Hotel and along with my fellow tourists, I disembarked and here I was, at Loch Ness!

The Clansman Hotel is a popular tourist stopover for visits to Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

As I walked from the hotel towards the banks of the Loch, signs of the tourism industry which is supported by the legendary Loch Ness Monster were everywhere. There were boat rides available to take monster enthusiasts on short cruises along the Loch while gift shops peddling everything monster related were doing brisk business.

Walking along the banks of the Loch, I took in the fresh mountain air and dipped my hands into the icy cold waters of the Loch at several points. The feeling was surreal, I was physically in contact with waters from Loch Ness! A childhood dream fulfilled!

Dipping my hands into the waters along the bank of the Loch, Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

View of the opposite bank of the Loch, Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

View of the opposite bank of the Loch, Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

The author, Timothy Tan (that's me) at Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)


The rocky bank of Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Loch Cruise, Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Nessie (the Loch Ness Monster) was and still is a major tourist attraction, Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

And nope, I did not get to meet Nessie the Loch Ness Monster during my trip. The closest I got to meeting Nessie were these replicas!

Is this what Nessie look like? Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Or did Nessie look like this instead? Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Closeup view of Nessie? Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Moving away from the banks of the Loch and taking a short hike into the surrounding forested areas, I began to understand one of the probable reasons why legends surround this area. The forested areas were secluded, foggy and mysterious; all these being essential ingredients for stories of monsters, elves and leprechauns!

Hiking trail into the forested areas along Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Perfect settimgs for legends and mythologies, Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Did elves and leprechauns walk this same path? Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Legends and mythologies aside, I did find very interesting flora during my short 45 minutes of solitary hike in the surrounding woods.

Moss, Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Wild flower, Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Autumn blooms, Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

Autumn blooms, Loch Ness, Scotland, UK (2011)

After my short but interesting hike in the woods, I returned to the Clansman Hotel and did what every good tourist will do. I bought souvenirs! My shopping bag included Nessie Fridge Magnets, Nessie Soft Toys, Nessie Pens and Postcards of Loch Ness and the Scottish Highlands.

Soon, the guide started to gather and count his charges i.e. me and my fellow day-trip tourists. Not long after, we were all back on the bus and on the long journey back to Glasgow. Judging from the happy faces, I was sure many of my fellow tourists had just crossed off an item from their bucket list, just like I did. And judging from the happy faces of the souvenir shop owners who were enthusiastically waving goodbyes to us, I was also sure many of my fellow travellers had did a fair bit of shopping as well!

Loch Ness........ the legend lives on...................



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg