Antarctica, Hope Bay - Icebergs and Penguins

I am sure there are many occasions when we ourselves are not travelling but instead marvelled at the trips of our relatives, friends, colleagues and acquaintances. Social media is an extremely convenient way for us to somehow get involved in such trips by having almost real-time access to the photos and videos of trips not made by ourselves but by others. 

Recently, a couple of my friends made a trip to the icy continent of Antarctica. As my limited financial means would not permit me to make such a trip; at least in the foreseeable future, I have to content myself with the simple joys of enjoying the photos and videos of my friends' trip. I shared the exhilarations that my friends experienced as they encountered penguins and whales whilst sailing in a luxurious cruise ship from Argentina to Antarctica, specifically navigating around the areas near Hope Bay.

Iceberg, Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

Iceberg, Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

History and Geography

From what I had read both from books and articles from the Internet, Hope Bay is located on Trinity Peninsula near the tip of Antarctica. It is also the site where Argentina's Esperanza Base is located. This current Argentine base at Hope Bay has been in operation since 1952.

Originally discovered in the year 1902 by a Swedish Expedition who spent a winter in the area after their boat was lost, the Hope Bay of today is an Important Bird Area (IBA). The largest Adelie Penguin (Pygoscelis adeliae) colonies are located here. Hope Bay also hosts the nesting sites of various bird species such as Gentoo Penguins (Pygoscelis papua), Skuas, Terns and Gulls amongst others.

Gentoo Penguin, Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

Gentoo Penguins, Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

Penguin Colony, Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

Climate

Although I have never visited the area, I don't believe I can go wrong if I use the word "cold" to describe the climate of Antarctica. ;-)

From scientific literature, Antarctica is colder than the Arctic. Due to its latitude, long periods of sunlight and darkness accompany the region's summers and winters respectively. 

Getting There

I have not make any trips there before. But my friends took an international flight to Argentina's Ministro Pistarini International Airport in Buenos Aires before switching to a domestic flight to Ushuaia in Southern Argentina. From Ushuaia, they boarded their cruise ship which sailed to the tip of the Antarctica Peninsula via the Drake Passage, passing by the South Shetland Islands along the way.

The Drake Passage is open waters between Cape Horn and Livingston Island (one of the islands of the South Shetland Islands). This passage is well-known for its high waves and rough seas. I am sure just sailing through the Drake Passage must have been an awesome experience.

The luxury cruise ship which sailed my friends to Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

What To Expect

Cold weather, icebergs, wildlife and an unforgettable once-in-a-lifetime experience!

I can't describe the experiences having never been there myself. But I guess it will be one of those epic trips that "normal" holidays to more well trodden paths do not even come close. I am saving up to embark on such a trip myself. :-)

For more of what to expect, I have included in this article some of the photographs taken by my friends during their trip in December of 2016. 

Gentoo Penguins, Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

Small rubber launches known as Zodiacs ferried visitors from the cruise ship to land, Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

Orcas (Orcinus orca) a.k.a. Killer Whales, Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

Orcas, Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

Orcas, Hope Bay, Antarctica (2016)

Advices and Tips

If you are visiting during summer, I believe lots of sunblocks will be a necessity especially on the exposed parts of your body such as the face, ears and hands. The long daylight periods associated with an Antarctic summer can mean high possibility of sun burns especially with the snow and ice also helping to reflect sunlight onto your body. I learnt this the hard way when I was trekking amongst the snowcapped peaks of some of the higher hills in Nepal.

No currency exchange is necessary because there certainly won't be any souvenir shops on the icy plains of Antarctica!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg