Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur - A Vibrant City

In December of 2019, after an almost 10-year hiatus, I re-visited Kuala Lumpur (a.k.a. KL) for the first time. Despite the relatively short geographical distance between KL and Singapore (where I lived), I was surprised it took me so long to re-visit this wonderful city. Flights from Singapore generally took about 40 minutes or so. Tour coaches typically take about 5 hours, including stops for meals and toilet breaks. If I drive, it will take me a little more than 3 hours, if I shorten the time for my meals and toilet breaks along the way.

Petronas Twin Tower, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2020)

Officially a federal territory, KL also serves as the economic, financial and cultural hub of Malaysia. It is the capital city of the country and was also previously the administrative capital until this function was moved to Putrajaya in 1999 to alleviate the increasing overcrowding and traffic gridlocks in KL. Still, the Greater Kuala Lumpur metropolitan area continues to grow both economically and in terms of overall population. KL is amongst the most important cities in South-East Asia.

So why did it took me so long to visit KL again? Probably its because it is so near to where I lived! The typical argument that because it is so near and so convenient to get to, I shall utilised my limited vacation time and budget for more exotic destinations. I know this is a flawed argument but it still is a convenient excuse.

The ceiling of this chic new cafe allows the ambient light to naturally illuminate the dining areas, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2020)

Well, I was back in KL for the first time in 10-years. The city has changed much since my last trip but many things remain the same. The same great ambience, the friendly people, the delicious food and the great shopping. To top up all these attractions, I found many new cafes and new bookstores that were not there when I was last in KL. Being the coffee lover and the avid reader that I am , I naturally revelled in these new-found personal favourites in the city.

The old and the new juxtaposed to make this a great city, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2020)

I ate, shopped, cafe-hopped and sight-see my way around KL. I re-visited the most recognisable iconic landmark of the city, the Petronas Twin Towers. These were the tallest building in the world in 1998 and held on to that title for 6 years until the title was taken over by the Taipei 101 in 2004.

I actually enjoyed myself so much in KL that I revisited in January 2020 for the Chinese New Year holidays. Cool cities are meant to be visited and re-visited again. During my second trip in as many months, my KL friends brought me to more nice cafes away from the city centre including in areas such as Damansara. This town, straddles the border into the Petaling Jaya area of the state of Selangor.

Egg benedict, KL-style, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2020)

There are no lack of nice cafes in the city for a cuppa, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2020)

We also took a long drive on a side trip to Batu and Tanjung Sepat in neighbouring Selangor. Near to the coast, great seafood can be found here at very reasonable prices. With so much to eat, shop, and see, I am likely to be re-visiting KL again in the near future. 

Known locally as the "Lovers' Bridge", this is a jetty that stretches out to sea, Tanjung Sepat, Selangor, Malaysia (2020)

A local family foraging for clams in their spare time, a great way for a family get-together, Tanjung Sepat, Selangor, Malaysia (2020)

Dried anchovies for sale at a grocery store, Tanjung Sepat, Selangor, Malaysia (2020)

A street hawker, Tanjung Sepat, Selangor, Malaysia (2020)

This was a chicken coop used to keep chickens in Malaysia in the 1960s and earlier. The setup seen in this photograph is a prop and the "hens" inside are clay figurines, Tanjung Sepat, Selangor, Malaysia (2020)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg