Laos, Luang Prabang - Locals enjoying the Tat Sae Waterfalls

Located about 18 km (11 miles) from the city of Luang Prabang, the Tat Sae Waterfalls (a.k.a. Tad Sae Waterfalls) is the less famous cousin to the more well-known and touristy Kuang Si Waterfalls (a.k.a Tat Kuang Si Waterfalls) which can be found further away from Luang Prabang towards the south-western part of the province.

Thus, while foreign tourists visiting the province trooped to the Kuang Si Waterfalls, the locals generally prefer the less well-known Tat Sae Waterfalls. No less spectacular than its more popular cousin, the Tat Sae Waterfalls has its own beauty and charms. 

To get to the Tat Sae Waterfalls, I had to take a drive from Luang Prabang to the village of Bak En. Near this village, I took a small rickety local boat to cross a tributary of the Nam Khan River. The waterfalls is located at the opposite bank of this tributary. The short 15-minute boat ride was an experienced in itself. The waterline was only mere centimetres away from where I was seated and I could see muddy river water sloshing around my feet as the small boat made its way across the river.  At any time during the ride, I was fully prepared to go for an unplanned swim in the river. My boatman looked no more than 15 or 16 years old but he proved himself to be an experienced pilot of his small boat. Once across the river, I tipped him generously although he had not expected a tip from me. I actually tipped him an amount that was 10 times what I paid for the boat ride. This was one of my own small ways to help the locals who were all working hard to earn an honest day's wage.

Arriving at the waterfalls, I was blown away what stood before my eyes. A magnificent waterfall with clear cold waters flowing continuously from its various tiers. Compared to my experience at Kuang Si Waterfalls where I encountered mainly tourists, here at Tat Sae, the crowd was mostly locals. They enjoyed themselves picnicking with their families at the flat dry grounds around the water edge while others took to the water in their bathing suits. Prior to wading into the clear waters for my swim, I took photographs of the waterfalls and the local people enjoying it, preserving these precious moments of my trip for years to come.

Locals at the Tat Sae Waterfalls, Bak En, Luang Prabang Province, Laos (2017)

Tat Sae Waterfalls, Bak En, Luang Prabang Province, Laos (2017)

Tat Sae Waterfalls, Bak En, Luang Prabang Province, Laos (2017)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg