Bucket List: Hiking in Tsushima

Japan, Nagasaki Prefecture, Tsushima

Japan is a country which is heavily forested. Close to 2/3 of the country is covered in forests. I had always wanted to travel to and hike in some of Japan's forested areas, preferably in locales where the human population is sparse. Not that I am a hermit but less populated areas usually means more flourishing flora and fauna due to lesser human activities.

Over the years and during my many trips to Japan, I had hiked in the Okuhida region of Takayama's mountain range as well as in the forests of Shiga Prefecture. One of my hikes in Japan's forests was in November 2019 when I traveled to Tsushima from Busan (Korea).

Located between Busan and Nagasaki, Tsushima is an island group. With a sub-tropical marine environment, Tsushima has unique flora and fauna not found elsewhere in the Japanese main islands.

A secluded shore in the northern part of Kamino-shima, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

During my trip to Tsushima in November 2019, I mainly hiked around the forested and less populated areas in the northern part of Kamino-shima. I stayed over for 2-nights in Tsushima and thoroughly enjoyed the peace and tranquility of the area. A low tourist season during my trip contributed greatly to the solitude that I experienced. 

Armed with my DSLR and walking along the almost deserted roads to reach the forested areas was a surreal experience considering that I live in a crowded city state. The hikes up the hills, with no humans in the vicinity but the forest and its inhabitants with its clear cool air was a refreshing change from my usual hectic city life. Here, I could hear the insects and the birds, marvelled at nature's wonders and realised how magnificent a spider web looked when naturally strung across age-old trees. Even the tangerines ripening on trees looked amazing. Sights such as these I could never come across in my city.

A cat crossing a deserted road, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Wild tangerines, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Spiderweb, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Wild flowers, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Closeup of the flowers, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Silhouette of tree branches growing out of the sides of a hill, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

My idea of what a perfect beach should be, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Slow and steady, I reached the peaks of the hills. The landscape before me changed from forests to panoramic views of the sea of the Tsushima Straits. With the cool sea breeze blowing in, I had to tighten the drawstrings of my hoody to shield myself from the cold. A cold that I enjoyed, natural reward for my hikes up the hills.

Panoramic view of the the islands, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

View of part of the Tsushima Straits, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

A lone Black Kite (Milvus migrans) cruising the sky on the up breeze,  Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

My way down from the hills was physically easier and just as enjoyable. The many wild flowers, some swaying gently in the wind as their pollens and seeds were scattered by the breeze, presented amazing sights of nature in action. No human intervention but good old Mother Nature doing her work.

Wild flower, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Fruits from a local plant, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Forested trail, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Even within the populated areas of Tsushima, I marvelled at juvenile Rays swimming in the drains. Yes, juvenile Rays in the drains leading out to sea, a testimony to the cleanliness of the water even in the drains! I observed fisherman in small fishing boats preparing to go out to sea while some were returning from a day out at sea with their harvests.

When in need of rests, I took breaks at local cafes, often the only patron. The warm coffee and delicious cakes rejuvenated me and allowed me to conduct more walks and hikes. Such natural beauty from a small island group. Just nature and more nature. What a wonderful world! 

Serene cove and white sand beach, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Long stretch of walkway along the coast, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Long stretch of walkway along the coast, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Surely, a tick off my travel bucket list. No UNESCO World Heritage Site inscription, no hordes of tourists, no touting of souvenirs, no pollution, no endless streams of plastic waste, no problem. Just my type of preferred travel destination. 

The beauty of Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)


The arrival of dusk painted parts of the island bright orange, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Sunset, just another quiet and peaceful day in the island, Tsushima, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan (2019)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg