Random Thoughts - Christmas Time

Christmas is almost upon us again. This is usually the time of the year when life slowed down and working folks like myself take a well-deserve break to unwind, gather with family and friends to celebrate the end of another year and also to take some time to review the happenings of the year and plan ahead for the new year.

In "normal" times, I would typically had already planned a trip to enjoy winter and the Chirstmas-ty festivities in North America or Europe. But this year, just like the year before, is not "normal" times. So no leisure travel for me. Instead of visiting Christmas markets in winter, I have to contend myself with celebrating a tropical Christmas at home right here in South-East Asia.

For the past 2 years, I had saved much on travel and those savings had been wisely, poured into long-term investments. But given a choice, I would rather spend some money on travel now instead of trying to save more for that proverbial rainy day. I am no spendthrift but I already have enough savings stashed away for my future retirement and would prefer to enjoy the occasional leisure travels to experience the world while I am still young and healthy enough to travel, hike, trek and maybe climb a small mountain. For what is life lived without the experiences to reminisce in our older years?

But for now, leisure travel is still off-limits for me because I consider the hurdles and uncertainties that come with planning a trip during a worldwide pandemic to be something I have no wish to partake in.

Hopefully, the coming new year will bring with it some kind of finality to the pandemic and we can all soar again, to be able to go out to the world and realise our individual dreams, whatever those dreams are. 

Merry Christmas to everybody reading this and may your dreams be realised in 2022 and beyond.

Christmas decorations, Dallas, Texas, United States (2019)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg