The original article was first published in this blog in July 2021.
I have always been happy to visit small towns when travelling. Unguided with maps or GPS , I enjoy simply walking around with no fixed plans, exploring and taking in the experiences and chance encounters that come my way.
While in Tokyo in 2017, I decided to take a side trip to Nakano, a ward of Tokyo which is just a 10-minute train ride from crowded and busy Shinjuku. I discovered a gem of a town, one filled with cherry blossoms trees in full bloom (my trip was in early-April), tranquility and most of all, the charms that come with travelling without any pre-planned itinerary.
Instead of a lengthy article struggling for words to fully describe my side trip to Nakano, I decided that a short video is a more appropriate medium to share my experience of the magic of Nakano.
******************
I visited Nakano as a side trip while in Tokyo in the spring of 2017. Just minutes away from Shinjuku, Nakano is a world away from the hustle and bustle that defines Shinjuku.
Here, serenity reigns. Being a rural area, the ambience is all about being slow paced and quiet. This is also an amazing place to catch sakura blooms (cherry blossoms) away from the crowds of central Tokyo.
This video consisted of photos I took of Nakano. From the moment I alighted from then train at Nakano Station, walked around and enjoyed the surrounding areas and finally returning to the Station for my trip back to Shinjuku.
These photos are presented in this short video in chronological order, based on my walking tour of Nakano.
I travelled to Japan for the second time this year in August 2026. I had visited Japan's Kansai region in my trip in January. This trip, I visited Tokyo and Fukushima. Fukushima was especially interesting for me because it was my first time visiting the Prefecture. I took a Shinkansen from Tokyo to Fukushima, enjoying my onigiri onboard while viewing the passing scenes of parts of Tokyo, Saitama and Tochigi. And yes, they still sell snacks onboard the Shinkansen and I bought a bottle of cold coffee to enjoy with my onigiri bought at Tokyo Station before boarding. Summing up my Tokyo and Fukushima trip in a simple infographic? That idea came to me while I was dumb scrolling the internet on a lazy Sunday morning. I tried asking an online AI to generate this basic infographic for me by providing some details of my trip to the AI. Of course, I forgot other trip details during the process. However, the first-cut output was rather impressive, to me at least. No original photos I had take...
Upcoming trips....... I did not travel for the month of September 2026, either for work or vacation. However, I have two upcoming trips in October. First up is a trip to Hong Kong and Macau on the first week of October 2026. During this trip, I will be traveling to Macau for the first time. Thus, a new city will be clocked for my travel map. I am attending a concert in Macau and will stay overnight after the concert, returning to Hong Kong the next day. Yes, as someone who prefers familiarity (despite my love for travels), I am using Hong Kong as a base for the trip. My return air tickets to Hong Kong was booked at promotion prices with Singapore Airlines and my accommodations in both Hong Kong and Macau have also been booked and paid well in advance, albeit a bit expensive at this time of the year because my trip dates coincide with the Golden Week holidays in China. A week later, I will be traveling to Ipoh to visit relatives and friends. This time, I will be flying to Ipoh via ...
For those who travel, I'm sure you will agree that on many unexpected occasions, interesting photo opportunities do crop up. It is precisely for these unplanned occasions that having a camera on-hand and ready, really pays off. With the advent of smart phones, having a camera on-hand and ready at all times has become more of a norm rather than the exception. While I was visiting Tokyo in October 2014 and window shopping around the Ginza district, I chanced upon this interesting statue of Cupid. With a snap on the camera button of my iPhone, I immortalized that moment of the "Peeping Cupid". And here it is, just for sharing. :-) Peeping Cupid, Ginza, Tokyo, Japan (2014)
Comments
Post a Comment