Travel Bits: October 2023

Journaling...... 


Journaling is my way of keeping memories. Journaling on the move, both overseas and local, helps me record experiences, events and notes as they happen. While there are many ways to journal, I personally prefer to journal the "old-fashioned and analog way". I write, with pens and notebooks. 

I keep several journals all at once. The first is my personal journal. This notebook never leaves my desk. I use it to write about my days, not every day, but on days when I feel like writing.  On some days, there may be more than one entries. This is the beauty of journaling. There is no pressure to write. I only write when I feel like writing. It is a conversation with myself. What I wrote in this journal are meant for my eyes only.

Next, I have a travel journal. This is another notebook which I only write in when I travel. Being a travel journal, I use this to record my experiences during my trips. Unlike the personal journal, this travel journal is usually not just a collection of private thoughts. On many occasions, I made use of the writings and notes in this travel journal to help me recall travel events when I wrote articles for this travel blog. My travel journal helps me remember the events and details of my trips, both large and small.

The next notebook I have is different from my other journals in that I use this not for writing but to record thoughts and feelings, usually one or two liners. I also use this as an analog memento to collect stamps and chops at different locations, doodle when I feel like drawing and to paste stickers of places I visited both overseas and local. What do I call this? A travel scrapbook.

Being a published writer, I of course will also be writing, be it short stories, poems or chapters and paragraphs for my upcoming novel. These writings on the road are usually recorded in a separate notebook which I called my draft manuscripts journal.

I also keep a small weekly planner with me. This is to help me keep track of my schedule. I use this both for work and travel. It is especially helpful when I need to take time off my traveling activities to conduct online meetings and such. 

So, which journals do I take with me when I am out and about?

When I travel, my travel journal, travel scrapbook, draft manuscripts journal and weekly planner are my constant companions.

When I am at work, my companions will be my travel scrapbook and weekly planner. 

And that's how I keep track of my life and enjoy my days. 

My journals, Bukit Panjang, Singapore (2023)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore, Horsburgh - Deep Sea Fishing

Cambodia, Siem Reap - Wall Sculptures at Angkor Wat

Estonia, Tallinn - Palace of Ungern-Sternberg